Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you guys think of this deal?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1222857132.html

It rides fine. Has 11,000 miles on it. Needs a new front tire and maybe front pads. Other than that its pretty clean. I think its a bit too pricey though. Also, just for kicks can one of you tell me the major difference between the st and rs? The st is about 30 lbs heavier and fully faired...those are the only things I could tell thus far.

Thank you,

Eddie

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'd try to talk 'em down a bit on the price, but it does have a lot of extras and low miles.

'99-'03 RS had a double-sided swingarm, slightly quicker steering, lower bars, and a half-fairing.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'd go over there with $4k in my pocket and offer $3900. KBB has the bike at $4750 retail, and that doesn't include the bags, grips, levers, etc.

Looks like a nice bike, well optioned. That bike will put a huge smile on your face, and take you anywhere there is pavement.

It needs a pipe, though. And probably a K&N (free-er flowing) air filter. When you put those on, you need the 'Off-road' tune installed and the fuel map tweaked for CO. Roughly $500-600.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds good

Yeah, I'll offer 4K. Its been for sale for a while and she seems desperate (called me later that evening to ask if I still wanted it). The only thing is it will need a valve adjustment/12K service soon and with the front tire thats about $500-$600 right there. I forgot to check out the chain so if that needs to be replaced thats another $200 which makes the price of owning it by the end of the month about $5K so we'll see. If was a blast to ride, not as quick as the SVK (my other choice), but deceivingly quick and very smooth. I'm sure it can be mapped to give the SV a run for it's money. Anybody know if this is true and if so if it will put more stress on the engine?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Not sure of an 'SVK', unless you are talking the SV-1000. I'd guess there is a reason that bike didn't last too long...

As I mentioned in my previous post, the bike will respond nicely to opening up the intake (filter only, DO NOT cut the box!) and exhaust, and getting the TOR tune. Also, the Fuel Pressure Regulator can/should be modified to deliver more than 40psi.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with everyone else at the 4k mark. If they brought the bike to the dealer for a trade in they wouldn't really give them any more money for the options on it other than the heated grips. So I wouldn't either.

Am I the only one who had a red flag go off with the fact that only the front tire needs to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
when I went shopping I also went to craigslist, but what I call craigslist for junkies, google Jaxed, find site mash, go to Triumph, every Triumph in America listed on Craigslist! I tried to buy locally but had little luck but with a little patience I found a red 2001 St in Orlando Florida, headlights done, risers, factory bags, maint. records, ect. for $2250! $220 for roundtrip flight and $341 shipping to depot one hour from home, yes I got an early Chistmas present, but my point is that I think that with a little patience, some luck and ability to travel a little further from home a much better deal can be had, good luck either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy any you find as much as I am.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought my '01 ST locally about a year ago. The bike was stock with 11,200 miles, hard bags, and about 50% tire tread. The seller had lowered the price and was asking $2900. I used the upcoming cost of the 12,000 mile check-up to get him to come down to $2500............I think I just caught him at the right time. The 12,000 mile check-up is so comprehensive that I felt like I was essentially getting a new motorcycle.

Mike O'Keefe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Options

I would encourage you to take a step back and check all your options. Doing research on prices and model year options can save you lots of time and frustration. Sellers love to sell to anxious people. Buying a bike or a car can be an emotional experience. If you can take a step back and examine the facts, and be ready to walk away if it is not the deal you want. You will win in the end. It is not the only Sprint for sale. I would encourage you to ask the guys on this form which years of Sprints they like and why.
Have you checked the NADA value of the bike? Dealers and wholesalers use NADA. You can pretty much come up with the real going price through their web site. If you wait till the winter to buy you can get some smoking deals. I have come across some smoking deals in the winter in Colorado. January I saw a Sprint with about 4K miles for $3K.
Another option is: Some Triumph dealers are putting some good deals together on left overs and financing is like 5.9% from the dealers right now.
These are just some thoughts from a geezer who was in the biz. Best Wishes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good points

I just fell for it when I rode it. So yeah I'm young and let my emotions and my wandering mind (all the things I could do to the bike and on it) get the best of me. As stated before 4K is a decent deal considering all the accessories, but thats if it wouldn't need maintenance in a week or two (I'd plan to ride a lot). Plus I need to sell my ducati still so thats a problem..The only problem with dealers is that they lie too much (at least used bike dealers). If you check my other thread it was about a 03 Daytona with under 3000 miles going for $4000. Now the salesman lied to me on the phone and well read and you'll see. different rims, cracked/missing fairings on all sides (visible better in person) etc...I really am considering getting a sport-touring then getting a track bike next year when I graduate from college. I think a track day would be a hell of a graduation present to myself. I will definitely look further away. It would be a good road trip for a bunch of buddies and I.

Thanks again again

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The only thing is it will need a valve adjustment/12K service soon and with the front tire thats about $500-$600 right there.
Makemydaytona, Looks like a pretty good deal to me, with the top bag, and all the extras, and if it is super clean. $4K shouldn't be a bad offer. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that the valves will need to be adjusted at 12K. They need to be checked. It's my understanding that it's kind of rare for the valves on the 955 gen II to be out of spec at 12K. I know this is a 2000, so I am not sure how it equates to the earlier 955. But I don't see a problem in waiting until the end of the riding season to do the 12k service. The bike isn't going to stop running at 12k and and demand to be serviced before it runs again. :YellowWink:

If you get it, have some fun riding it. There's plenty of time in the off season to do service.

---Charlie

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I would encourage you to take a step back and check all your options. Doing research on prices and model year options can save you lots of time and frustration. Sellers love to sell to anxious people. Buying a bike or a car can be an emotional experience. If you can take a step back and examine the facts, and be ready to walk away if it is not the deal you want. You will win in the end. It is not the only Sprint for sale. I would encourage you to ask the guys on this form which years of Sprints they like and why.
Have you checked the NADA value of the bike? Dealers and wholesalers use NADA. You can pretty much come up with the real going price through their web site. If you wait till the winter to buy you can get some smoking deals. I have come across some smoking deals in the winter in Colorado. January I saw a Sprint with about 4K miles for $3K.
Another option is: Some Triumph dealers are putting some good deals together on left overs and financing is like 5.9% from the dealers right now.
These are just some thoughts from a geezer who was in the biz. Best Wishes
Good advice coltsdawg. The banks only want to loan NADA value, and you'll never get the insurance company to give you more than the NADA value. That's just the way it is. But, if you look at asking prices for bikes, most are a little more than NADA values, especially if they are in exceptional condition, and/or have low mileage. You're better off dealing from the NADA values......If someone insists on Kelly Blue Book values, you might want to just walk away.

---Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'll stay on the lookout for good deals. As far as this bike goes they recently reposted it so I'm going to give it another week then offer something like $3700. Also, yes good point, everything doesn't need to be done by the book. It is definitely possible that the valves don't need adjusting and from my understanding especially if the bike wasn't driven hard. I'm sure if it was a Daytona and some squid had it up to redline going down every straight they saw (and managed not to kill himself) then yea they probably would need adjusting but in this case a doctor owned it then a woman who only drove it 1K or so miles. Not being sexist its just that more guys drive like fools than women (so its kind of a complement). Thanks so much for the input. It has influenced my decision greatly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts