Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, Last weekend my 03 Sprint w/ 7k miles, had the fuel guage go up and down several times upon startup after filling tank and then guage dropped to the bottom and died. Then check engine light came on. I read several posts where this has happened to Sprints and several Daytonas. I'm 80 miles from a Triumph dealer and sure would enjoy possibly fixing this problem myself.

I have the manual from Triumph. Please send me a "how to" or the page numbers of how to go about checking out this problem.

Thanks, Randy in Ga. It's riding time down here.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I would check and make sure your wiring harness to the fuel level sender is still connected and still in one peice. Mine broke where is goes into the plastic and I had to solder it. It happened when I took the tank off.

It threw a code that said something to the effect of fuel level sender high or something like that. Check it out and see what it could be.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would check the battery connexions are REALLY tight.....IE Undo 'em, even if they appear ok, and snug 'em up again!!!!!

3 hot/cold heat cycles ( run motah 'till fan kicks in, let it cool down completely, repeat x 3) should clear the light IF no problem............

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a great list and I'll check these first two tips

Thanks for the notes on checking into this item on my bike. I tried to reach under the tank and wiggle things while it was running but it didn't change anything. I checked the battery connections and tightened them as hard as I could. But wil disconnect and clean and retighten again. and look at those connections

A couple of months ago I came on the list to report my bike had quit running at 75mph on the interstate. I got it home on my truck and got tons of clues from the Ratters out there and when I took of the fairing sides and went to lift up the tank I found the quick disconnect tank fuel like had unplugged half way. I pushed it together and it started right up. Maybe my problem is right there with the connections on the wiring as well.

Can I just take off the tank mounting bolts and lift it? or do those fairing sides have to come off again?

grazi molti Randy in GA

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I know when I replaced/ whenever I check the fuel fittings, it's a lot easier with the side/tailpiece faring off.................

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You can take the tank off with out removing the tail peices but it can be a bit of a pain in the butt. I'd recommend you yank em, it really only adds a few minutes to the whole process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts