Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

about 3 years ago, my Sprint started to run rough and lost power. After some debugging, i figured out there's no compression on one of the cylinders. I suspected valves and sure enough, one of the inlet valves was very tight.. in fact so tight it was impossible to get gauge between there, even after i removed the shim all together.

Well, what to do.. i opened the cylinder head and found out that the said valve was sitting about 1mm deeper in the head than the others. Reason to this is still unknown, when i bought the bike, the shop said they'd adjusted valve clearances, i called them and they said they don't give a s**t anymore as they already filed for bankruptcy .. great.

Long story short, I found a nice T595 Daytona to replace the Sprint and it was left standing. I've been slowly working on it, replaced the valve (fortunately the damage was on the valve, not on the head itself) and last weekend I put it together and tried to start it.

All lights come on, it's on neutral, sidestand is up, fuel pump primes, relay next to ECM activates and it cranks.. quite slowly tho, could be the battery, it gives me 12.8 standing voltage and 11.5 while cranking. But no spark on any plug. I suspected some crap on Crank position sensor, opened the side again, cleaned it, set the gap correctly.. also measured the darn thing, gives me 528Ohm and some 100 millivolts ac when cranking.

I'm starting to run out of ideas, one thing to mention is that none of the safety measures (clutch sensor, side stand sensor, neutral light) seem to have any effect, it happily cranks without clutch pulled in and side stand out, even gear on.. however, not a single spark anyway

If you guys got some ideas, i'd be very grateful to hear, I'd like to do my longer trips on Sprint again as it's superior in comfort compared to Daytona..

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Well, for starters (sorry!) - get a known-good battery. The Triumph ECU's are very particular about voltage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i guess. just feeling lazy to pull the battery out of my Daytona, maybe I'll just buy a brand new one and try with that. I don't remember Daytona being so picky about the voltage but it has older generation ECU anyway.. Thanks for your reply :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i guess. just feeling lazy to pull the battery out of my Daytona, maybe I'll just buy a brand new one and try with that. I don't remember Daytona being so picky about the voltage but it has older generation ECU anyway.. Thanks for your reply :)
replying to myself, battery at 13.4V, i tried cranking it with all the plugs out, still no spark on any of them :/

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
About the voltage, can you post a video of the cranking?
I guess you checked that the plug coils are powered.
Do you see injectors spitting while cranking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the voltage, can you post a video of the cranking?
I guess you checked that the plug coils are powered.
Do you see injectors spitting while cranking?
Coils are powered yes, not sure about the injectors, haven't really gotten into checking "matter" as the "spirit" is missing..

here's a short video, plug from cylinder 1 is out, others are in their place. Didn't bother to put coils on as it's not sparkling anyway..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're the. Readings for the crank position sensor what service manual list as acceptable?
Yes, resistance is within the acceptable range, couldn't find any info about ac current but usually it's somewhere between 100 and 200 mV for crank sensors

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Coils are powered yes, not sure about the injectors, haven't really gotten into checking "matter" as the "spirit" is missing..

here's a short video, plug from cylinder 1 is out, others are in their place. Didn't bother to put coils on as it's not sparkling anyway..
The cranking speed is very slow. Probably too slow. Yet to do is determining whether the sprag is slipping or just the electric supply is too weak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cranking speed is very slow. Probably too slow. Yet to do is determining whether the sprag is slipping or just the electric supply is too weak.
Righty, that's what I need to find out.. the same battery cranked buddies kawa fine so i suspect something fishy with my setup.. but that too is weird, working on cylinder head shouldn't change anything down there, timing is correctly set, engine turns easy manually..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it cranks considerably faster if I take all plugs out but still no spark.. rolling hill start is out of the question, nearest hill is .. well, not near :D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The injectors operation is still to be checked. Contact cleaner in the ECU connectors could be an option as well regarding a bike that stood still for a long time. TuneECU may show possible out of range value(s) for any sensor that may also lead to a corroded connector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts