Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Im new to this forum so excuse me if this topic has been discussed elesewhere millions of times before! Also forgive me for riding around on an 'antique' Im sure everyone rides the latest & greatest!!

I have a 2000 ST and have been suffering from a phenomenon I'll call 'engine hang' - that is the engine rev's won't come down in certain situations unless I change thru neutral or use engine braking to load up the motor.
For example I change from first to second and the revs stay at approx 2000 RPM ...but when I change down from second to first and roll off the throttle the revs continue to stay at approx. 2000rpm.

Been trying to eliminate variables, but my observations include;

1. It seems to happen in hot, humid weather, when the engine is hot.
2. could be a problem with my petrol type ??
or 3. fuel supply feed from the tank (ie a possible leak) bit of discolouration around the plastic widget off the side of the tank.
4. It doesnt do it all the time, only periodically.
5. Water in the tank?

It also could be none of these things and something totally different. These are my observations but as Im not a mechanic not sure.
Not really a safe situation when you want to slow down and the bike wants to keep chugging along! Apart from that, the sprint is giving sterling service hopefully for a while longer...

Trying to diagnose and fix and/or prevent...

Help!:confused:

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum yvesklein. :)

I am not sufficiently testically aware to be able to comment on your trouble except to say that I have suffered from a sticky throttle cable in the past and I would look there firstly.

They are teflon coated but can get gunked up. The other more technically minded will be along soon so I am sure that they will have some more suggestions but I would start simple.

Introduce yourself - location and the rest so we can (possibly) help you some more with local knowledge. :)

As for vintage. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's slow!

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum yvesklein:)

I am a bit like my friend Steventhechef in that I am not a mechanic either:confused: but his advise is a wise place to start because it is easy to check and fix if that is where the trouble lies.

We have a few extra ordinary clever people here and a lot of guys with good tech general knowledge as well.

As Stevo says one will be along soon that is smarter than we are at diagnosing engine / fuel problems.

On the new member thing;
Don (dolson) and I ask all our new members to please take time to read our forum stickies and acquaint yourself we how we do stuff here:)

If you like to tell us a bit about yourself and maybe as Steven suggest give us your general location then this can help when answering questions.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am not sufficiently testically aware to be able to comment on your trouble...QUOTE]

Hmmmm... going to resist the temptation to comment on that...

yvesklein- It could be an air leak. How many miles on your bike? You might take it to your dealer and have them balance the throttle bodies and check for error codes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm not going to get caught up in the anatomy but, I've got a 2001 and this happened on mine for couple of rides. Both times I found it I engaged the cluth and revved it to 7k+ the engine then went back down to the normal idle. I have no clue why, maybe a bit of grid or something blocking the air intake or I dunno what (I'm sure there is a technical reason). Anyway, went away. I'm sure you could look where the throttle cable is and use a little WD40.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
If the cable doesn't fix it then you need to look at your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and your IAC (Idle air control valve/motor) The IAC tends to gum up and will stick. When it its sticks your rpms will be up and have a hard time coming down.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Gee you know stuff Calli :) So I know in case it happens, how do you ungum your IAC? Do you give it a squirt of WD40 or do you have to dismantle and clean it Calli?

Thanks Kredge !! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
From what I can remember seeing on this forum, I dont think it is advisable to lubricate the cable. On a bike of the age of yours, unless you know the csble was changed recently, I would go for a new one. Mine was giving similar problems, but before I could change it, it snapped. Must have been frayed for a long while. Throttle action now precise & light. No "Hang up". Worth every penny !! Also try loading up to date tune too.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Gee you know stuff Calli :) So I know in case it happens, how do you ungum your IAC? Do you give it a squirt of WD40 or do you have to dismantle and clean it Calli?

Thanks Kredge !! :D
Well to ungum the IAC you take it off and then using some carb cleaner in a spray can you spray the plunger down and get it all. I believe once it is off you can gently move the plunger in and out of the valve itself get it all cleaned up and then lightly lube it with some lithium spray or the like. Don't over due it as the lubrication can attract dirt as well so just lightly lube it up.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Thanks Calli.

That piece of information is now in my bits of things to forget until I need to remember it (or whilst doing a search) :D whichever comes first!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts