Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that this can be a controversial topic, however I've not needed to change the tyres on my bike for about 5 years, thanks to being mainly at sea and not having time to take the bike out much when I was home.

To that end, I'm rather out of touch with tyres for my bike.

I've got bt-021 on there currently and looking to get some good tyres for fun riding. The bike isn't used for touring so I'm not too concerned about preventing flat spotting the centre like on a normal sport tourer tyre.

Thanks in advance, Kim

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with Dave and Steve. Can't go wrong with the Michelin Road 5. I would say they are probably the top of the line, hard to beat. I have about 800 mile on my new Metzeler Z6 tires, so far so good. Grip is great wet or dry. Too soon to rate them on wear though. I found them for a great price and thought I would try something new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the input, I'll look at them (PR5s)

Now the next question is...
Rear tyre is 180/55
Front is 120/70

Can I go 190 on the rear with a different profile at all? Would there be any benefit to running a wider tyre at all?

Same question for the front as well.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
All to do with wrong size tyre for the width of the rim.

Cheers,
Kap

·
3,078 Posts
Yes, stay with the 180 rear. I also love the Road5s. Have em on 2 bikes, and a third bike shortly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
3,078 Posts
Ryan at FortNine. They have some good content, even if they're zany Canucks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 for the Road 5's. Edge grip is excellent in the dry and the turn in feels a little quicker than the Angel GT's I replaced. The Pirellis were at the end of their life so they probably performed better new but the multi-compound construction and road reviews steered me toward the Michelins.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
I just returned from a ride on Sir Costalot and the Pilot Road 4s really make it a quick handling bike.
Very confidence inspiring, too.
This is also my experience, on my 3rd set on my GT now and also have shod my'04 Daytona 955i with them.
They steer quickly due to the shape being more of a Vee and grip is excellent wet or dry. I have ridden pretty fast in sweepers and tight stuff in heavy rain, very well leaned over.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I'll be the odd man out.

If you sport ride aggressively and don't care much about mileage or wet weather performance, Dunlop Q3s are a blast. I only get a few thousand miles from them and they are only adequate in the rain, but man are they fun in the twisties! This is my third or fourth set. Before those, I had a couple of sets of Pilot 3s that were fine tires in all conditions and lasted about twice as long as the Q3s, but they weren't quite as sticky on dry pavement. Q3s are usually a little bit less expensive than Michelin, Metzler, Conti, Avon, etc., too.

I absolutely hated the OEM Slipstones! B21s, IRRC. They were so unpredictable I almost sold the Sprint thinking it was just an ill handling beast. Glad I didn't.

Q3s and TMod suspension front & rear. I smile a lot now.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
Hi Stevienh

I agree about max dry grip with soft compound tyres, I used to run Qualifiers and Bridgestone and Michelin soft comp tyres but there is in reality very little wet grip in these.

I had about 4 sets of Q2's, I think I used to get about 2,500kms out of a set on my Sprint ST 955i.

Everything is a trade off, it's what you need and prefer the most for your style of riding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 on the Q3, awesome tire on the Sprint.

I am now using the Roadsmart 3, which was developed by the same guys as the Q3.

A lot less expensive and last longer than Pilot Road

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 on the Q3, awesome tire on the Sprint.

I am now using the Roadsmart 3, which was developed by the same guys as the Q3.

A lot less expensive and last longer than Pilot Road

What kind of mileage have you gotten out of the RS3?

I’m seeing $172 for a rear tire online. That’s only $10 less than the cheapest PR5 rear I’ve found ($182.88 from rocky mountain atv)

Looking for a new rear tire soon myself. (Conti-motion it came with will NOT be going back on)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts