Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to replace the headlight bulbs on my ST1050 for brighter bulbs. How easy is it to replace the bulbs and what are the best type to replace them with.

Thanks

Ronnie

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bulb Replacement

Hi Ronnie, the two low beams are easy to replace, just have to remove the infills on both
side of fairing to gain access.

BUT the high beam involves removal of fairing and headlight, approx. hour/half to R&R.

Cheers Barry

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
While not as convenient as the low beams, the high beam can be replaced from below without removing anything but the dust cover, connector, and loosening the bail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies but what exactly do you mean by the infill panels. Can the low beams be replaced by xenon bulbs and if so what code and type

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish to replace the headlight bulbs on my ST1050 for brighter bulbs. How easy is it to replace the bulbs and what are the best type to replace them with.

Thanks

Ronnie
Hi Ronnie go for these aprox £16 for a pair on Ebay

OSRAM H7 NIGHTBREAKER
H7 12v 55w PX26d (standard H7 fitting)
UP TO 90% MORE LIGHT ON THE ROAD
UP to 10% WHITER LIGHT for more relaxed night-time driving
BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY FROM OSRAM
FULLY ROAD-LEGAL (German E1 Approval)
DISTINCTIVE BLUE HOOP PATTERN ON BULB

Cheers RED :cool:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I can replace my dip beam bulbs without removing any panels - I got my dealer to replace the main beam when it had some other work done. It's not so easy to adjust the aim without removing the black panels on the inside of the fairing. I use Osram Silverstar 50% brighter H7 (it says H7 on the lens cover) and aimed the dip beams up a smidge - it helped a bit, but not a lot - the reflector and lens design stops brighter bulbs being much more use...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I just got my Xenons :D
I'm getting ready to go down that road myself. Let us know where you put the ballasts and igniters. The only place that I found was in the dead space under the front dash panel, below the windscreen. But it looks tight!
Some pictures of your instillation would be great!!:)

I just got this email from John Sharp of SharpHID on installing the ballasts in that little compartment with no ventilation.

(Bruce,
The ballasts do create heat and I'd recommend venting where they will be
stored. High heat for a long duration has been known to shorten the life of
the ballasts. They are designed to work in higher heat areas but in a small
compartment with no venting they may overheat beyond their range.
I honestly have never seen an issue with the ballasts causing any
interference with any electronics but I'm sure you could shield them with
standard shielding techniques if you start to experience issues.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re Osram Night Breaker lamps

Just to confirm that on line you can get these lamps for £16.99 pr
I found them at www.triumph-online.co.uk at that price excluding postage. They are sold in pairs aimed at Tiger 1050 owners but the h7 will fit the Sprint 1050 too.

Good luck with the change

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I'm reading about aftermarket accessory concerns in the EU in another thread which makes me wonder if that same problem exists with these lights? Will riders in the EU be incarcerated for having these lights the same as for having aftermarket exhausts? ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm reading about aftermarket accessory concerns in the EU in another thread which makes me wonder if that same problem exists with these lights? Will riders in the EU be incarcerated for having these lights the same as for having aftermarket exhausts? ;)
You are right but...
These sets are approved and stamped with E-markings. :cool:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Actually OnD, here in the UK the police just like stopping bikers almost full stop...:mad:

Aftermarket lights can get you a whole heap of trouble if they don't comply.

Having said that, the standard bulbs are useless, so I consider an upgrade a safety item:D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Didn't I see a set of E-markings on ebay? I think the vendor had an E-marking store. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Full beam replacement

Hi All

Just fitted 3 X Osram Night Breakers tonight

To fit the center bulb for full beam I managed it with the following

1. Remove the screen
2. Remove the black panel below the clocks above the headlight 4 screws
3. Disconnect the indicator cables and the cable to the clocks
4. Remove the rubber protector from the bulb unit then remove the bulb connector
5. Drop the full wiring harness indicators,light,clocks,rubber cover down and out of the way of the bulb unit
6. This will give you room from the bottom and the top to remove and refit the bulb
7. Refit back all the cables leaving the bulb and rubber cover to last
8. Remove the 2 black side panels (Glove box) 3 screws each to fit the 2 side lights
9. Test and refit all panels

Time approx 1 Hr

I found this the easiest way to do the job rather than remove the headlight unit which is a pain

Now waiting for a dry night to test :BigEyes:

Hope this helps

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Or just reach up from underneath and don't remove anything except the rubber dust cap and wire bail. It ain't that difficult. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Red,

Let me know how it turns out. I just recently changed my globes and I am happy with the low beam but high beam is still crap.

I used 80W in the high beam.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Or just reach up from underneath and don't remove anything except the rubber dust cap and wire bail. It ain't that difficult. :D

Yup I tried that but I have quite big hands and thick arms :Dance02:
found this to be the best way working from the top and the bottom wasent to bad though.

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Red,

Let me know how it turns out. I just recently changed my globes and I am happy with the low beam but high beam is still crap.

I used 80W in the high beam.
Hi 2008 sprint with night breakers in all 3 lights big improvement
but not over happy with the full beam still not the best :brick:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts