Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - new to the forum

I'm buying a 2010 Sprint ST (just sold a Tiger 955). Seller is unsure whether the bike has ABS or not.

Some Sprints have an 'ABS' fairing sticker; this one doesn't. I doubt the answer is this obvious...?!

Research tells me ABS was an option, not standard. HPI check says 1050 ABS.

What are the obvious physical signs to look for? Is it still the toothed brake discs or, is it more subtle now?

Hints and tips gratefully received.

Thank you

Matthew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I've now answered my own question - still teeth on the brake discs but only left hand side on the front

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you test ride it you may also spot the "ABS" warning light illuminate on the dash and stay on until you get to about 5mph. This is normal behaviour, it is the system running self-checks and letting you know that it has started operating. Once the light goes off it should stay off for the remainder of the ride unless there is a problem or the system is triggered

Keef.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Seller doesn't know if it has ABS!

That's a worry and would concern me that maybe they haven't been all that attentive to routine maintenance.

As has been said, ABS light on the dash should illuminate and then go out when 5mph reached. Also, there will be sensor rings on the front left and rear discs with a sensor just below the front left caliper and under the swingarm at the rear

·
Registered
549 Posts
Also a bloody great 3 kilogram lump of ABS mechanism connected to a heap of pipework sitting just behind the engine on the right hand side of the chassis.

:)

Keef.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seller doesn't know if it has ABS!

That's a worry and would concern me that maybe they haven't been all that attentive to routine maintenance.

As has been said, ABS light on the dash should illuminate and then go out when 5mph reached. Also, there will be sensor rings on the front left and rear discs with a sensor just below the front left caliper and under the swingarm at the rear
LOL I know - although no doubt one of those who takes a bike/car to the garage even to top up the radiator!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to you all for responding - I really appreciate it. Going to see the bike tomorrow and am now very clear on what I'm looking for. Closer look at the photos suggests no ABS which is a shame but, the rest of the bike looks mint (and I've never had ABS on a bike before so won't know what I'm missing...!)

Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
You don't really need it on two wheels - I mean if you can't plan ahead and control your brakes you shouldn't be riding. I've got both variants of Sprint, and it makes no odds to me. At our local bike test centre test I've seen people skid on the controlled stop even with ABS on their bikes - you have significantly less stability and contact area than a car, so you need ride and brake accordingly [recently did my advanced rider test so apologies for getting preachy!].

·
Registered
360 Posts
While I agree with you about forward planning, there's always the chance of something completely unexpected happening.

E.g. a deer appearing out of nowhere on wet roads or someone over cooking a corner coming in the opposite direction.

Both of these have happened to me and the latter would definitely have had me off without ABS as I was right in the verge braking and taking avoiding action

I've passed my IAM car test and am training for the bike test

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't really need it on two wheels - I mean if you can't plan ahead and control your brakes you shouldn't be riding. I've got both variants of Sprint, and it makes no odds to me. At our local bike test centre test I've seen people skid on the controlled stop even with ABS on their bikes - you have significantly less stability and contact area than a car, so you need ride and brake accordingly [recently did my advanced rider test so apologies for getting preachy!].
Nothing wrong with preaching extra training! I've done bits of advanced - all good stuff! Also recommend trials bike training for slow control and general bike confidence. The brakes on my non-ABS Sprint are still the best brakes I've had on a bike. My conclusion is that ABS is a nice to have but not a must have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I agree with you about forward planning, there's always the chance of something completely unexpected happening.

E.g. a deer appearing out of nowhere on wet roads or someone over cooking a corner coming in the opposite direction.

Both of these have happened to me and the latter would definitely have had me off without ABS as I was right in the verge braking and taking avoiding action

I've passed my IAM car test and am training for the bike test
I shall now add surprise attack by deer as something to expect! The forward planning message cannot be overemphasised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts