Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first ride of the season this afternoon and had my new toy Garmin GPS. While riding down the highway, my sppedo registered 80 mph while the GPS stated a speed of 75 mph. At lower speeds, it appears to be more accurate. However, once above 60 MPH the drift or error is 3-5 mph on the high side.

I assume that the GPS with a lock of 5 satellites is way more accurate than a Triumph Speedometer. Has anyone else experienced this much error or have you checked??

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nunzo-Your is speedo is off, the GPS is correct. My Zumo shows 73 at an indicated 80 on my speedo. I always wondered why all those speeders around me weren't getting tickets.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Per law the spedo have to show 3 - 5% more. 250km/h is 232km/h on the GPS for me (only thing I can remember) :)

Regards/Casper

On 2007-03-11 22:09, nunzo wrote:
I took my first ride of the season this afternoon and had my new toy Garmin GPS. While riding down the highway, my sppedo registered 80 mph while the GPS stated a speed of 75 mph. At lower speeds, it appears to be more accurate. However, once above 60 MPH the drift or error is 3-5 mph on the high side.

I assume that the GPS with a lock of 5 satellites is way more accurate than a Triumph Speedometer. Has anyone else experienced this much error or have you checked??

·
Registered
131 Posts
On 2007-03-12 02:57, RexxyPup wrote:
That's about right for the new model ST. You should try an earlier one. Mine is +10% all the way throught the range!

Rexx
This is the same I have experienced with most of the bikes I have owned...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not just every bike I've owned but every vehicle I have owned that was made in the last 20+ years were all off about 3-8 mph at highway speeds

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
My 93 ford F150 is less than 1 MPH off from my GPS but my Sprint is 10% across the board.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't have a GPS YET, but using the old "Your speed is" radar box on the side of the road and several passes at different speeds, my '01 is 10% off all the way through the range.

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
Speedo Healer
It depends on which is more critical for you - the odometer or the indicated speed.
I believe the odomoters are usually fairly accurate therfor if you adjust the input via a SpeedHealer device to calibrate the indicated speed, then the odomoter will incur the same margin of error.
I'd personally rather have the accuracy in the speedo.

·
Registered
497 Posts
From what I can tell, and having ridden near other Sprints and comparing results (when all checked against my GPS) I have found the new ST's to be about 10% off at highway speeds, and about 12% off at ludicrous speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
DEcosse,

As I mentioned above, my speedo seems to be about +10%, but the Odometer is within 0.1%!! Yes, over a SatNav recorded 100 mile trip, my Odometer was over by a 1/10 of a mile.

I have to confess that I have totally the opposite opinion of which I would rather have accurate mileage, for servicing and selling.

Put a speedo healer on and adjust the signal down by 10%(ish) and you would be recording less miles than actually done. Good for resale, not so sure about servicing!

For every 12,000 (big service) miles showing, you would really have done 13,200. By the time I reached an indicated 36,000 miles I would be one service behind!

Rexx

·
Registered
287 Posts
On 2007-03-12 03:52, casperghst42 wrote:
Per law the spedo have to show 3 - 5% more. 250km/h is 232km/h on the GPS for me (only thing I can remember) :)
Regards/Casper
Why the heck would anyone "by law" make anything 10% inaccurate??? my seven year old Ford Contour reads 75 mph while the GPS says 76. No legitimate reason why a speedo should be off 10% in this age of technology.

Jim T.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2007-03-14 05:48, jthursby wrote:
Why the heck would anyone "by law" make anything 10% inaccurate??? my seven year old Ford Contour reads 75 mph while the GPS says 76. No legitimate reason why a speedo should be off 10% in this age of technology.

Jim T.
Well said. Is there really such a law? What for, to slow the world down? If such a law really exists, it is utterly stupid. Here's an idea. Let's all set our clocks 10 minutes fast "by law" just to fix those who run chronically late.

Outta here. I'm late.

--Sparty

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine to is about 10% fast. My 2000 dodge truck is dead on, as was my old 2002 Harley electraglide. Go figure. bete

·
Registered
658 Posts
This speedo accuracy issue seems to come up about once in two weeks!

There's no law enforcing an error, but, at least in the EU, there are regulations that do not allow ANY negative error (i.e. speedo showing less than actual) and allow up to a specific positive tolerance (a constant + 10%).

I have posted a link to the relative EU regulation repeatedly in previous threads.

I'm sure there's something similar applicable in other places in the world.

BTW, for the 05 and later models, if you have access to a Tuneboy you can set/change the constant which affects the accuracy. I don't know if this will affect both the speedo and the odo or just the speedo. If it will affect both, then this is only good to calibrate for a final drive change and not for speedo inaccuracy.

The system is inherently accurate since the odo is accurate (as long as you don't change the final drive ratio) and the speedo inaccuracy is designed in. That's only for the new models.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Many guys on the ZRX site I belong to comment that the speedo is about 10% off, I think it's common with "dial" speedo's
But look at the bright side, it could save you a ticket!

·
Registered
99 Posts
For what its worth, most Rocket owners also notice an approximate 5% 'over read' on our speedos..I've also noted a smilar 5% on the Sprint ST although I just got it in September and only have 800 miles so far on it. Seems to be a universal thing at least for Triumphs.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The nice police man said I was only going 95mph even though my speedo said I was dead on 100. I still think it is about 10% off and he was not quite telling the truth. Doesn't really matter though since 90mph or 95mph in 55mph zone is still wreckless driving. Looking forward to my court appearance the day after Easter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts