Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As the title suggests are the 99-04 sprint and RS seats interchangable? The previous owner of my sprint was a shorty and had the seat cut out a bit, i was thinking for me the standard height one would be better and seen an RS one on Ebay.

thanks!

Dean

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Yes, they are - 99 to 04

·
Registered
466 Posts
Indeed they are the same

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, thats what i thought.

Would you think that the standard seat would put more weight on the wrists that a cut out seat?

I'm fairly sure a normal one would be more comfy as theres more padding

·
Registered
466 Posts
Actually, I wasn't too happy with the stock seat, it was angled in a way that always pushed my jewels against the tank.

I got a Sargent seat, a bit firmer and flatter than stock.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
The stock seat is made with foam stolen out of some poor Granny's old sofa.

Any time at all on the seat, and you'll get some serious butt-burn.

The PO couldn't have taken much out, as there is only an inch there. A common tactic is to 'scallop' the sides to allow the legs a straighter shot at the ground.

Your best bet would be to take the seat to an auto upholstery shop, and have some stout closed-cell foam installed. Make sure the butt-pocket is located the proper distance from the tank for your height.

However, I am also a fan of Sargent.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Based on my experience, I can say that the prices on the site DEcosse linked to are a much better deal than what I got from a local shop a couple years ago.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Here's the feedback report from a guy on TLZone
He is clearly quite passionate about the results

Ok guys got my seats, front and rear, back today and man what a difference! No difference in looks at all, had no problem with the looks anyway and to be honest did not want any different look at all!, but the ride is amazing! There is no vibrations transmitted to my body at all. I also went to the website, off of www.greatdaytoride.com for the manufacturer of the gel that is used in the seat and there are some videos explaining the specs on the gel and also some videos showing a back massager (vibrator) with a plastic bottle of water held tight against it and you can see the water in the plastic bottle jump all over the place...however you would not believe it but when the next video showed a very large block of standard motorcycle seat foam held tight to the back massager then the water bottle with half bottle of water in it held on top of that...the transmission of vibrations actually got worse noticably worse at that!! Then instead of the standard seat foam they used a piece of the gel in between the water bottle and back massager and NO vibrations were transmitted at all!! I could not believe it..and on the site it explains why in detail and how the gel works. Spencer the guy that actually does the seat mods also uses some memory foam in addition to this "gel" plus uses just the top portion of the original foam to have the original shape to the seat and let me tell you after riding today I could not believe the difference!

Now, I have no ties to this gentleman...do not know him other then what I have read and just from my own seats being completed and returned to me today so I do not want anyone to think that there is any alterial motives (sp??)...from what I read in the magazine article and then online on his own site plus some of the forum posts that are links on his site I took a chance and gave him the opportunity to help me out....I have a very very bad back having two disks in my lower back deteriorated at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and am due for total disk replacement ( once the jerks at the FDA and my insurance co approve it) might never happen but let me tell you....my love for riding is placed above my pain and Spencer has helped me to be able to enjoy riding again for longer distances in more comfort at a very cheap reasonable price (cost me $100 USD) and I strongly recommend you guys check him out.....Please tell him I sent you....no I get nothing from it...but I just want to show him my appreciation for how he has helped me!!

Let me know if you guys have any questions as I would be glad to help in anyway I can...after all you guys have really helped me out over the past year and took me in as one of your own and I appreciate it!

Ps. The big thing about these two mods that were done, the Comfort Mod and the LD (Long Distance) Mod make the seat comfortable and also you feel NO vibrations from the bike at all! Check it out...you will not be disappointed!
and

I started this post to let you guys in on this guy....well to give an update...got mine done as you may have read early in this thread and so far have put about 500 miles on the bike since....well just as Spencer from www.greatdaytoride.com said the seat would get more and more comfortable as I put more miles under my belt...no pun intended! Well, he was right I really thought it was very very comfortable when i got it back but once I put a few hunderd miles on it...it get even better! For $100 you can not go wrong....some things you do to your bike are not even a measurable difference....this mod for such a small price is probably the best $100 I have ever spent and trust me when I say....if you are thinking about getting this done....DO IT...don't be a cheap skate...spend $100....I blow that in a couple hours on a weekend....it will be the best money you have ever spent! unless you have been to Daydreams in Philly....that may be better....and even that is a MAYBE!

Also, yes he did a slight drop in height...half inch or so...the main thing is comfort...and no vibration what so ever...if you want vibration buy a HD or a viberider....if you know what I mean...look it up if I confused you...you will understand! Good luck and Spencer is a great guy to work with...and the turn around time will get you back in the saddle in no time!
Here's another review off SVRider

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Seats are a very personal choice.

But I have a Triumph Gel seat on my '04 Sprint ST and my wife and I love it, but you do have to keep it covered on very hot days as there is a heat absorption issue.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts