Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding done around 180 miles, and fuel light came on, so i went to local station, and filled the bike up, with 17.8 litres, ( to the brim but without going up the short entry way bit.

then rode home, and after about 5 miles the fuel low light comes on,
I stopped to seeif id lost all my fuel. opened the tank, ( no its full alright) closed the tank, and restarted the bike, the light had gone out.

i started riding again, and it came back on after 0.2 miles ish, (soon anyway) stopped again opened and closed the tank and it went out again, then came on again once riding, so i ignored and got home, as knew there was enough.
Didnt feel any different in throttle responce.

any ideas as to what it might be?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Could be a wiring fault, I suppose, but my first suspicion is the sender as I had one fail in my Trident. IIRC, I fixed that with baling wire rather than cough up the $110+ the stealer wanted for a new one. Worth checking, at any rate. It was a weld that had failed, quite obvious what was wrong & how to fix.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DaveM, cheers have read sticky on new members for sprint forum, and totally agree, its a very helpful forum, and everyone should treat it with respect.

Regards my topic, i wondered if the low pressure warning light would come on if i over filled the petrol tank, allowing the breather to get blocked by petrol?

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey KitNYC, care to elaborate where the sender is located? inside the tank?....I'm having the same issue with my S3.

·
Premium Member
24,396 Posts
DaveM, cheers have read sticky on new members for sprint forum, and totally agree, its a very helpful forum, and everyone should treat it with respect.

Regards my topic, i wondered if the low pressure warning light would come on if i over filled the petrol tank, allowing the breather to get blocked by petrol?
Hi f1wade and thanks for the nice comments about the forum.

I am sorry I am not one of the really technical types, but I am quite sure that overfilling would not cause your issue.

We do have some very clever people on this board and one of them will be able to help you out I am sure.............I'm just not one of them!:D

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am pretty sure(However, I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong) that the RS uses the same sender as the ST.m They are prone to going bad. It is doing the same thing mine has done twice now. The first one went bad at 5000 miles, the second at 40,000. Which I just happened to replace yesterday.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Ok, thinking back, I realize the 'dent's light stopped coming on at all when the sender broke. Here's a picture of the part:

As you can see, the sensor came off the post. I used some baling wire to reattach it & all was well 'til the motor siezed.

Looking at the Bike Bandit schematics here, it's obvious that the injected bikes use a different sender than the carb bikes. It also looks like the most likely failure mode for the new style would be a float that doesn't. (And yes, the sender is inside the tank, screwed in from the bottom.)

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Just a guess, but the low fuel light could very well be controlled by the engine management system and has to be adjusted/reset by the dealer.:(
Does the fuel level read OK?
What model year is the bike?

·
Premium Member
24,396 Posts

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Good posts and pics guys and welcome to the forum f1wade.

The RS doesn't have a gauge just the low fuel light

·
Registered
852 Posts
But I think it still uses the same sender to tell the ECU that the fuel is low, which in turn then turns the light on...... I think...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well my bike is the RS so it doesnt have a fuel level read out.
and i think its a 2003 model.

I'm pritty sure im getting it because ive blocked up the breather pipe, which would make a vacume in the tank, as the fuel is used, thus making the fuel pressure not as easy to build up as it wants.

but i like it if an expert would confirm this for me.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, I just actually looked at the Bike Bandit schematics. The 03 RS uses the same sending unit as my 04 ST. Even though you don't have a fuel gauge, the computer still needs to see the fuel level to know when to turn the fuel light on. You do not have a blocked breather. You have a bad sending unit. What you described is exactly what they do when they get buggered. It would turn on my fuel light along with showing no fuel on a full tank. $96.48 through bike Bandit. However please support your local dealer. He probably has one on hand. And won't charge shipping. Mine keeps a couple.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'll say this once more: looking at the design of the RS/ST fuel sender, it appears that the most likely failure would be the float. If the float failed, it would be a light on condition. I would personally try replacing the $20 float before replacing the whole $100 sender assembly.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
852 Posts
If a float failed, it means its sunk...right? It's not going to bail itself out and float to turn the low fuel light out, then sink again.. Then repeat this act.

I have dealt with this problem a couple times now. It's a bad sending unit. I went ahead and cut the one apart that I just removed a few days ago.
Here is the rail with the float at the top.

Closer

Here is a close up of the float. It has a magnet on the one side.

I am not sure what exactly is failing, But there seems to be some corrosion at the base where it is put together. Possibly this is where the dodgy connection is. I am not sure. I am sure that there is nothing wrong with my float. It floats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a 2003 ST and was having a similar problem with my fuel light. Regardless of how much fuel I had in tank the fuel light would stay on. Settled myself to putting up with it having read its a common problem. The gauge was always on empty also so used the trip.

Then one day I ran out of fuel. Filled the tank and ever since fuel light and gauge work properly and have never misread again so think mine was down to a sticking float and running out unstuck it.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Similar Problem After Visit to Dealer

I took my 03 Sprint to the local dealer (who is now no longer a Triumph Dealer :arghh ) a few weeks ago to have him check the diagnostics on my ECU.

He told me all was well with the ECU but I needed a battery. He put a new battery in and off I went. A few miles down the road my fuel gauge dropped to zip and the low fuel light blinked on.

I pulled into the nearest gas station and figured the dealer must have messed with the fuel tank. The bike took a whole 1/2 gallon of fuel at the pump. The check engine light came on shortly thereafter.

When I got home I reseated the battery connections and on advice of the ex-Triumph dealer reseated the relays under the seat. He said he removed them to get the battery installed, though I never had to touch them to remove the battery before.

I connected on ODB scanner and read code P0463, Fuel Level Sensor A High Input. If I reset the code, it comes right back in a few miles after the fuel gauge drops to empty or close to it.

Can it be that my fuel level sender became flaky :skeptical after the dealer put a battery in? Any ideas?

Thanks much....Terry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts