Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi removed my 2000 sprint RS fuel tank for the first time today, think I can get it back on, it's like the tank has grown or the frame shrunk.

Seriously though is there a knack to fitting it. Came off no problem. I've not disturbed the air box or anything underneath, I just can't get the front lug to line up. Fuel pipes and wiring are all free.

I'm guessing it has to go in backend first but it just will not push back far enough to line the front lug.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peaty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
It's plastic
Very typical unfortunately - the tank swells from the alcohol in the gas (it's actually alcohol plus water that gets absorbed)
And indeed once removed, particularly with the mounting of the Sprint, it is very difficult to get the bolt back in.
I have actually seen a process with a scissors jack used , with the front bolted in and the jack squeezing it forward until the rear bolt goes in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, can't believe it, it was only out for a couple of hours. Looked on the triumph website, new tank is just shy of £600. Looks like a squeeze is in order, gutted.
Many thanks for the replys

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
A new one will go the same way.

I read somewhere on here that if you empty it & leave it a few days it shrinks back, that's likely BS though.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
A few days probably will do nothing, but I had mine off empty for months and I was able to regain a proper fit for my T595. I had the same tank off the bike full with fuel for six months which turned out to be a mistake. The tank would not fit the forward fittings when the seat bolt was lined up. Nylon absorbs water easily because it's make with water during the production process. If water can be absorbed, it can be removed. That's been my experience. With these tanks, lining with epoxy is probably beneficial as long as the tank is fully dried and fits properly on the bike.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If you empty it and allow it to dry thoroughly it will resume its former dimensions or close enough. Whether that's a few days or a few weeks will be very dependent on your environment, but a large sack of silica gel would probably be a big help.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you don't want to wait that long I wait successful levering the front of the tank holes back into place by covering a large flat screwdriver with a cloth (to not scratch anything) and leaning in to it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that's the tank drained, well as much as I can get out. I'm going to try and squeeze it using a ratchet strap. Triumph dealerships must experience the same issue, wonder if they have some sort of jig to hold the tank whilst off the bike. That was the other thought, knock up a jig which would apply pressure and steadily squeeze it back into shape. Thanks once again for all the replies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well that's the tank drained, well as much as I can get out. I'm going to try and squeeze it using a ratchet strap. Triumph dealerships must experience the same issue, wonder if they have some sort of jig to hold the tank whilst off the bike. That was the other thought, knock up a jig which would apply pressure and steadily squeeze it back into shape. Thanks once again for all the replies.

My local dealer flat out refused to service any triumph older than 10 years they must know about he gas tank issue...... I have to do all the job myself and force the tank back on bike, even though the front doesn't line up properly...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reading this thread puts me in some what of a dilemma.
Having recently bought a 2004 Sprint I'd like to fully service the bike so I have a known starting point.
But to change plugs and air filter requires tank off. So do I take the chance of the tank not growing over the few hours or forget any tank off tasks!
The tank is currently drained, still on, and has been for 6 weeks. Haven't plucked up the courage to take it off yet.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Generally speaking, the fuller the tank is, the greater chance it will grow when removed. I run my tanks down to near empty for planned service and drain them if I have to do something unplanned. It's been years since I've had anything more than minor difficulty putting one back on and I still think it beats dealing with a rusty steel tank.

If your bike has a fully dry, empty, tank and you don't plan to ride it for a while, it might be a good time to coat it with one of the new phenolic resins. That's been on my to do list for a long time, but the tank I bought when I had money is the wrong color and now I can't afford a black one so I haven't done it.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finally sorted my electrical gremlins and set about getting the tank back, it's been off and drained for about three years! Has it shrunk in the time? No way. I resorted to a ratchet strap and to aid things along made a bit of a jig to help the compression along. Tighten the ratchet then add compression via the jig, over about a week or so it has pushed the tank back to the degree that I've managed to get it back on the bike, it's still a tight fit but it's on. I even had to lift it off to reposition the fuel pipes after I had added fuel, but it went back ok. All running and fine now, thank goodness. Wont be taking it off in a hurry again, but if I do it will be drained and the ratchet strap and compression jig fitted straight away

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow, it's taken you three years to sort whatever problem caused you to remove the tank in the first place. Haven't you missed riding for all that time?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, it's taken you three years to sort whatever problem caused you to remove the tank in the first place. Haven't you missed riding for all that time?
I've had a number of other bikes at my disposal to quench my thirst for riding Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts