Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folx,

I have hit a bit of a brick wall in my search for a belly pan to put onto my 2004 Sprint RS and wondered if anyone has any advice. I understand they are not the easiest to get parts for but after speaking to a few suppliers both here in Oz and in the US, there just don't seem to be any about. Frustratingly, Peter Stevens in Melbourne said they had some at half price but would only suit my bike if I had a VIN with the last six digits of 180 000 or over. This seemed odd as mine ends with 158 943 and I'm pretty sure that this was the last year the model was made. :confused:
Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome RS man

Hi and welcome to the forum christophnw:)

The best person probably for you an Australian to talk to is stevethechef a friend of mine here in Queensland who recently bought and installed one of those bellypans of which you speak from Peter Stevens in Melbourne.

As Stevo has been searching for one for a few years, they are rare as hens teeth I believe, there are a lot more ST's on the road than RS's as you probably already ar aware.

If you do a search or PM steventhechef he will tell you more than I can.

I am sure he will see this thread anyway and reply to you soon in person so to speak.

On being a noobie Don and I ask all the new peps to please take a little time and read our forum stickies:)

Enjoy the forum
DaveM:3dcool:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Odd...

Your VIN says you have a double-sided swingarm, but that really shouldn't make a difference for the bellypan. AFAIK, the only major change that should affect the bellypan is the switch to the G2 engine at VIN 139277. The SSSA came in at 161318. I am not aware of anything significant happening to the model after that. (Other than my 183xxx being manufactured! :D ) I am also not aware of Triumph ever doing anything at nice, round number like 180000. That really makes me think the dealer has some bad info.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
The guys at Peter Steven's seemed pretty switched on when I bought mine a few months ago. They responded quickly and with good info by phone and email.

Have a look at this post. It might help.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/107977-new-belly-pan-sprint-rs.html

My last vin number are 153386 and I have an 03. As far as I know the gen 2 bellypans are the same DSSA and SSSA from vin 139277

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Where are you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response fellas

Dave M, appreciate the welcome mat though unsure what you mean by forum stickies? I have read the 'New members please read !' thread and understand the do's and dont's. Have been getting a lot of value out of the forum so far and its good to be back in the company of the motorcycling minded after a few years absence while living OS.
I purchased my RS at the end of last year and have gotten heaps of enjoyment riding it, though finding it tough to track down useful info and sourcing extra bits. This site seems like the place to be!
KitNYC, yr right about my bike having a DSSA, how did you know that!? I have tried a few sites which track VIN's and come up with nothing, even Triumph had nada. You may be right about the dealer being wrong, though as Steve says, they seem like they know what they're doing (certainly more so than the no-hopers at Procycles St Peters in Sydney, my local dealership who, when requested to attach a rear hugger while getting some other work done - an 18T sprocket courtesy of this forum, great mod - claimed I needed a hole drilled in the swing-arm until I pointed out the plastic plug in the one already there!). Apparently they spoke to some guru in Triumph parts and asked whether I could adapt the mounting brackets and use the pans they had in stock, this option was vetoed as they claimed I have a completely different engine block. From what Steves says though, I can't see how this can be right. His VIN is so close to mine and if there were no other changes after the gen 2 engine, how can it not fit? One thing I noticed though after viewing Steve's post showing the photos of his new pan (about which he was chuffed) is that the bolts seem to go in a side angle, while the only holes I can see on my block would need these to be straight up and down. I will have a bit more of a detailed look at the pics and see if I may be missing something.
Thanks again for reply's and let me know if there is anyone here in Sydney who I should get in touch with.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
One thing I noticed though after viewing Steve's post showing the photos of his new pan (about which he was chuffed) is that the bolts seem to go in a side angle, while the only holes I can see on my block would need these to be straight up and down. I will have a bit more of a detailed look at the pics and see if I may be missing something.
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.
On my RS there are four brackets that bolt to the engine block; the belly pan bolts to those brackets. I do have the gen1 engine since mine's a 2000, but I'd bet the belly pan attaches the same way on both engines.
I heard that steventhechef was pretty chuffed with his new belly pan too.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Chris, the parts fiche (available online at Bike Bandit) lists the VIN breaks for different parts. Since your VIN is before 161318, you should have the DSSA. No rocket science, I just know where to look to research this stuff.

BTW, Steventhechef has one of these. Rumor has it he was rather chuffed with it when he put it on. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Kit, that is a great site. It gives a description of a belly pan for: SERIAL NUMBER 186151 AND HIGHER - which was the actual number Peter Stevens quoted (I just remembered it was around the 180,000 mark). Still a little confused as to why this is relevant if the block hadn't changed.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I think I've figured out at least the Bike Bandit part of it.... That part is listed in British Racing Green only. I'm guessing all 7 of the Sprint RSs they made in BRG were after that VIN....

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Glad that your a little closer to a result Chris.

FWIW I am still chuffed. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alas, it would seem the brick wall has loomed large once again and is rock solid, see below for response from Triumph after I sent through the link to Stevens 'chuffed' thread.....

Hi Chris,

Please read Triumph response below. I would not recommend this Bellypan for your bike.

Should you still wish to purchase it and take the chance that you can fit it with some mods, that’s your call. But we will not take any return of this product, as it is not deemed suitable for your bike.

Thanks, and I hope this is of some assistance,

Noel Whittley
City Triumph
Parts and Accessories Consultant
Tel: (03) 9348 6550 Fax: (03) 9328 8509
Email: [email protected]

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:57 AM
To: Noel Whittley
Subject: RE: Sprint RS belly pan

Hi Noel,

While partially true the alternator cover was not the only change. The entire crankcase changed between the early and late models which changed the mounting points.

I wouldn’t be selling it to this customer.

Kind regards,

ALEX G

PAC Consultant

Triumph Motorcycles Australia

http://www.triumphrat.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts