Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed my fueltank and airfilterbox to change o-rings on the fuel injectors. When I removed the tank I did not notice where one of the tubings came from. I attach a picture with the tubing encircled. Is it coming from the airfilterbox?
Also what is the part that the tubing is connected to on the tank? Is it some kind of vacuum thing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
..... When I removed the tank I did not notice where one of the tubings came from. .... Is it coming from the airfilterbox?
Also what is the part that the tubing is connected to on the tank? Is it some kind of vacuum thing?
Larrymace, I didn't see an attached photo. However, the "vacuum thing" in question is the fuel pressure regulator. The tube normally connected to it also connects to a port on the intake manifold on the other end. This keeps the fuel pressure at the prescribed level above the intake manifold pressure.

DSCN7411 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm about to dive in with replacing the fuel line connectors so I thought I'd add the helpful part list that I got from boardheadbri. I'm not sure this is complete in part numbers as I don't believe it accounts for replacing both female connectors at the plate. Can someone confirm that those are to be replace using the same part (LCD10004BSPT)?

ORDER SUMMARY
LCD10004BSPT Valved Male Thread Coupling Body 1/4 BSPT - Single
LCD10004BSPT
1$12.63
LCD17004 Valved In-Line Hose Barb Coupling Body 1/4 ID Barb - Single
LCD17004
1$19.47
LCD23004 NSF Valved Elbow Hose Barb Coupling Insert 1/4 ID Barb - Single
1$12.76
LCD23006 Valved Elbow Hose Barb Coupling Insert 3/8 ID Barb - Single
LCD23006
1$12.86
Subtotal$57.72
Shipping$4.95
Tax$0.00
Total$62.67
Thank you for choosing FreshWaterSystems.com!
NOTE: If your items are on backorder, we will contact you via email and/or phone to inform you of the estimated ship date, and/or other options. We promise to contact you the same business day for AIR shipments (until 6:30 PM EST) and within 1 business day (M-F) for ground shipments.

·
Super Moderator
21,543 Posts
... However, the "vacuum thing" in question is the fuel pressure regulator. The tube normally connected to it also connects to a port on the intake manifold on the other end.
No, it does NOT.
It connects to the airbox, or in models after ~2002, simply disconnected.
There would serious mis-fueling if it was connected to vacuum

·
Super Moderator
21,543 Posts
... I'm not sure this is complete in part numbers as I don't believe it accounts for replacing both female connectors at the plate ... ...
On a Sprint there are not two female QD's on the pump plate (as in the pic in the post above which is of an S3 or Daytona Pump) - only one of those on a Sprint and the other is a 'fixed' elbow with an extender hose to an inline set of barbed QD fitings

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks for the clarification DEcosse.
I don't suppose you have a part number for the fixed elbow connector, eh?

The elbow connectors on the list above are all the 'barb' type - no threads. (Maybe it doesn't screw into the plate?)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the clarification DEcosse.
I don't suppose you have a part number for the fixed elbow connector, eh?

The elbow connectors on the list above are all the 'barb' type - no threads. (Maybe it doesn't screw into the plate?)
When i replaced my female connectors I left the elbow connector in place and replaced the plastic female connector at the end of the hose. that's the plastic bit that will fail in time. if i'm remembering this correctly the part number is LCD17004 https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-8026-lcd17004-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-body-14-id-barb.aspx

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
When i replaced my female connectors I left the elbow connector in place and replaced the plastic female connector at the end of the hose. that's the plastic bit that will fail in time. if i'm remembering this correctly the part number is LCD17004 https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-8026-lcd17004-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-body-14-id-barb.aspx
Thanks! Yeah, I see that Kit said that plastic elbow rarely fails. It would be nice to update it ... is it worth the effort?

I wonder if Triumph continues to use plastic parts like these in current bikes. Hope not.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I see that Kit said that plastic elbow rarely fails. It would be nice to update it ... is it worth the effort?

I wonder if Triumph continues to use plastic parts like these in current bikes. Hope not.
all plastic fails eventually. it gets more brittle over time. the body parts on my honda st1100 (94) were very fragile 15 years later and i had to be very delicate after 15 years. depends on the type of plastic though. i don't have any current plans to replace that on mine.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
all plastic fails eventually. it gets more brittle over time. the body parts on my honda st1100 (94) were very fragile 15 years later and i had to be very delicate after 15 years. depends on the type of plastic though. i don't have any current plans to replace that on mine.
If I knew the replacement part (non-OEM) I'd do it ... hint, hint. >:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Part numbers:

First off, your bike may still be under recall - call your local Triumph dealer and give them the VIN to confirm. Note that recalls never expire - I just got hold of a 2000 Sprint ST, and my local shop will do the recall work to replace the parts, even on an 18-year-old bike!

However...

The Triumph recall only covers the 'male' fittings which attach to the fuel hoses - it does not cover the female connectors which are screwed into the tank plate.

If you do want to replace the male fittings (because you can't/won't wait for your local shop to cover it under a recall notice or because, like me, you've already damaged the connector so you can't even get it to the local shop), the part number you need is LCD23006 - this is an elbow connector with a 3/8" 'barb' (the internal diameter of the fuel hose). It's possible that some models of bike use a narrower hose, in which case you need the LCD23004, which only has a 1/4" barb. Both of them have the same size bit which clicks into the female connector. They are made by a company called Colder, but are sold in many places.

You can get an LCD23006 for about $20 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Colder-LCD23006-Chrome-Fitting-Shutoff/dp/B008V1VZP4/ref=sr_1_1) or maybe cheaper on EBay.

You could probably get a plastic version, but.......just don't. Get the metal one.

If you need to replacethe female connector(s), check out this post:

https://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/643617-955-sprint-common-problems-and-fixes.html

HTH!

Rory

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's also worth noting that the replacement male fittings from Triumph are not valved, and so will remain "open" when disconnected and make it very easy to spill fuel. The Colder parts are valved (as are the original plastic fittings).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts