Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing the front sprocket on my 2002 RS. Can anyone help me out by finding the thread. Can I fit it without breaking the chain? Do I have to replace the tab washer?

Thanks

Kev

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
You have to break the chain, so it's cheaper to get the dealer to do it, than to buy a chain breaker.

It's worth the money though - my bike feels much more responsive right out of the hole, and is easier to ride round town. Top end does take a hit, but you make it back up on hills and in acceleration.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Every one says that the changeover is fantastic and worth the minimal effort.

I'll do the change when I need a new chain and do it all together.

Have a look here

Inexpensive mods

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just ordered both an 18T and 19T. I'll be replacing the chain and sprockets next week and trying the 18T. I'll let ya all know another 18T swap impression.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kev you don't have break the chain just back the adjustment off, much if its single sided swing arm, if not no problems.

No you do not have to replace the tab washer, that if you don't destroy it.

Changed my front sprocket without breaking the chain.

Nut size is 36mm.

Barry

·
Registered
564 Posts
8mm socket gets plastic sprocket cover case off, then (as Bazza mentioned) use the 36mm socket and a decent lever.

Tab washer is re-useable and I managed to slip the old sprocket off and the new one on without further loosening the chain.

All you do then is adjust the chain afterwards. Half an hour should do you!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get one ordered. I just need to source a 36mm socket. Bound to be able to borrow one from work and a decent breaker bar. I don't want to strain my torque wrench too much. If I am going to a smaller front sprocket I reckon I should be able to change it with the chain in situ. The abba stand will help.

My wife bought my my TOR Carbon can for Christmas. Cant wait to get it fitted by the dealer and the TOR tune downloaded.

Thanks all

Kev

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Thefallenone,
Don has summed up the 18 tooth sprocket very well when a long while back he said it was the simplest and most inexpensive way to gain a big improvement.

I believe THE Don was smash on. :)

Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
And how long was I after you to do it Davie??? :hammer: :-D

Don

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Er well Donski,
you actually chased me for quite a while before I actually believed it could be that good!

But I did do it in the end and have never regreted it since.

It is a fantastic mod and it's so cheap and simple.

Once again thank you Don for pestering me into changing that pesky little sprocket. :razz:
I owe you one!

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Well actually,
Kid you are very right of course. :bow:

I was there when it happened.............. :wow:

I stood quite close to the bike, passing spanners and screw drivers and sockets to the highly skilled Triumph mechanic as he wrestled with the chain and sprocket. :smug:

Tis true I watched :-D :-D :-D

I did help though! :roflmoa2:

Stlakid and Don you both got me! :hammer:

·
Registered
564 Posts
A 1 and 7/16" (= 36.5mm) imperial will do if you can't get the 36mm, TFO

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
On 2006-11-28 04:32, DaveM wrote:
Tis true I watched :-D :-D :-D
A good man knows his limitations :-D FWIW I'd get someone to do it too Dave. Call me scared to f**k it up :(

I use to work on my cars all the time but I am concerned that I'd do something wrong and break my precious machine.

:bow: All hail to the Triumph God

Rob, am I allowed to bring religion in at this stage? :-D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We it arrived today. Just need to find a 36mm socket now. :-D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When to Halfords (Autostore) today to buy a 36mm socket. The tab washer was fitted to the sprocket nut and I gently bent it back. Put the socket on my torque wrench. Hardly any effort to turn socket. I don't believe it was torqued correct - 136NM. Loosened of the chain adjusters both sides and slid the wheel forward. The sprocket came off no problem. Anyway, torqued it all back up, adjusted chain whilst on ABBA stand (the manual is the only one I have seen telling you to adjust the chain to 35-45mm play with the wheel off the floor) and put the cover on. No time to road test today other than a quick up and down the street. Will post on post ride thoughts tomorrow, providing the weather is not too back - it rains alot here in the UK at the moment.

Kev

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from a ride on dual carriageway and high speed twist roads that go through slow villages. The gearing is much better. I can now select 2nd gear at less than 35mph and the transmission seems less jerky. 60mph is now 3600rpm and the bike will pull in top gear from around 45mph. Didn't take the bike above 90mph but noticed no ill effects. Close inspection of the old sprocket revealed hooked teeth. Why did the Triumph sprocket have rubber on each side?

Kev

·
Registered
48 Posts
One thing that will help you realize that you aren't going to "mess anything up" any more than the official mechanic is seeing him do something doltish. It doesn't take much of that to realize that the only differences between him and me are that he has a uniform and I have the mechanical ability.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I still reckon this is one of the best mods that can be done.

The rubber on the front sprocket is for vibration. I believe there are after market suppliers making them this way but I am yet to see one and they are probably expensive.

I cant say if I notice a difference in vibration, I'm to busy enjoying the difference.

Brett.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts