Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a quick note regarding my install of Mikes Grilles radiator and oil cooler guard products, on my 09' ST. www.mikesgrilles.com

I have no affiliation, just a customer. The product arrived promptly, was packaged well and had everything needed for the install. Instructions were good. I removed my fairings which made it easier to do, maybe someone w/better dexterity than me could do it w/o fairing removal though.

I opted for the gold colored screens, they look great and cooling of the motor is not affected. I would buy from them again. Good product.

Will post pics shortly, not possible at the moment.

www.mikesgrilles.com

I believe in giving credit where it is due, hence this mini review. Some might say there is no reason for such a mod, but we have a lot of bugs here, marginal roads/debris and all that is potential problems for the radiator and oil cooler.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Had them on my last three bikes - well worth it.
Though if you are the handy kind....with some expanded metal sheet and some pinchweld you could diy for a lot less

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
First thing I put on the Sprint. I actually don't understand why they're not OEM. My son blew an engine with a stone through the radiator on his FZR250, and 1 month later my ex put a stone through the radiator of her CBR600. My old GPz1100 had one standard (radiator shield, not holed radiator:D). Any Aus riders, I can recommend Radguard (similar to the OP, no relation with the company, but a good product with good service).

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
I think I'm more concerned with my from tire throwing gravel/stones. The gravel thrown by trucks just hits be in the head, no problem there.....

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
It hits me in the head, too! One reason I can't fathom how most around here don't wear helmets.

Yes, probably my front tire is most likely to damage the radiator. And once I rode over a trench filled with gravel. A new house had just gone up and they dug a trench in the road for the utilities. I got home, took off my gear and gravel started falling out all over the floor. So somehow it got sucked up into my gear as I rode over it.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
....... I got home, took off my gear and gravel started falling out all over the floor. So somehow it got sucked up into my gear as I rode over it.
That is what happens when you knee down in the curves on gravel. ;) :motorbike2

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also installed the Mike's Grilles set on my 09 Sprint two weeks ago. Chose the powder-coated flat black, looks great. Will post pics over the weekend. I installed it when I had the fairings off for some other maintenance. Took 5 minutes; would be a challenge to do correctly with fairings in place.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i did it fine with the fairings on

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, finally some pics. Sorry for the delay. Those of you who made your own, they look great. I just did not have the time and liked what was offered by Mike's. He does a nice finished edge as well which i really like. Gold color is not really visible. The one pic below taken using a flash for emphasis.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike's supplies SS tie wire and thermo safe zip ties. Use same to attach the screen array to the frame of your radiator/oil cooler.

I wanted my ties to be evenly spaced and such, so i opted to remove the fairings. No way could i have done it to my tastes w/o removal. Don't have the dexterity it would require, any longer. You can see the wire tie material in one of my pics above and if it bothers someone, a perm. marker could be used to color the wire. It is not really visible w/o flash the photography, otherwise.

I wanted the screens as much for big bugs as i did stone protection. Dead bug carcasses hold and collect other muck as well which over time will contribute to corrosion and certainly decreased cooling. The Sprint warms quickly and the fan runs a lot in traffic, so every bit of fin clogging only hurts here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Radiator Mount Bolt Torque Spec

Just received my radiator guard from R&G for my 1050 ST. The grille attaches using the original bottom radiator mounting bolts. Does anyone know the torque value for the bottom radiator mount bolts?

Thanks in advance--haven't got my service manual yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts