Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !! 8 or 10 weeks ago I put the new metal fuel connectors on, along with a new gasket for one of the airbox to throttle bodies, went to start the bike and it wouldn't start at all. I took everything apart twice, put it back together, it still wouldn't start. So having only ridden the Honda for the last while, last Saturday I thought I'd give it one final shot before giving up and going to a mechanic. It started !! But the check engine light came on. After 3 subsequent starts the check engine light went out, just like is says in the manual. I think the fault code is stored in memory. Anyway, I immediately did a 35 mile ride, no problem. Sunday I rode out 3.5 mi for a little exercise, then again it started no problem, then I went 2 blocks and the motor just quit, no warning, no nothing. The battery was dead. AAA jumped it, so I started riding home. I got about a mile, but the bike died again, no warning. Today I jumped it myself and started riding home, got nearly home when it died again. I jumped it again and made it home. The battery is 30 mos. old, the correct-spec battery for the bike, I think, a CTX14-BS. I took it to Kragens who put it on their meter and said it just needed a good charge, although it looked a little marginal on the meter from my side of the counter. I charged it up really good tonight, then put the multimeter on it. 13 V with the motor not running and 13.5-14.5 V with motor running, so the charging system is working. But now I don't trust the bike to ride it before I am certain it will run without this hassle. I'd like a Triumph dealer to check the fault code on the ECU memory, but the nearest Triumph dealer is about 30 mi. away, has a sub-dealer here but doesn't do the Triumphs on this side, and I don't trust the bike enough now to attempt to ride it over there. A tow gets pretty expensive. I'll check the voltage tomorrow to see if it is leaking voltage. One mechanic suggested the battery might not be getting a deep cycle recharge, just a superficial charge. Another suggested possible rectifier problem. Possible short that would only come up intermittently ? Any thoughts on diagnosis before I attempt to get the bike into the dealer ? Thanks all.

I've started washing my clothes in coffee. That way the inevitable coffee stains don't show up as much. The only problem is that it takes 5 gallons of coffee to fill the washer !
I thought I could use a cement mixer, a grout mixer with a plastic bucket or attempt to find a coffee maker made for the Jolly Green Giant and others of his ilk. No luck there. I settled on brewing the coffee on the pre-wash cycle, before putting the clothes in. That would be my recommendation. Works great, try it yourselves !

[ This message was edited by: jeffster on 2006-11-29 00:54 ]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great, your battery shows 12-13 volts. How about the amps? Has Kragen done a load test on the battery?

I would say something went fishy when you had the tank and airbox off, but I'm not sure what that could be.

If Battery dies that frequently, its either the battery, the alternator, or the regulator.

Cheapest thing to do is a load test, then a new battery. After that, take it to your mechanic to do an alternator load test.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Sport. Today I called a Triumph dealer - his feeling was that when I changed the fuel connectors, the hookup to the fuel pump got some damage and is shorting out. Maybe a booger got in there. He recommended that I check out that connector with the multitester. So will do that this weekend. I will also take your advice and take the battery in again for a load test for amperage. Went out to check the Triumph tonight. In one day the battery went from 13 V with motor not running to 12 V with motor not running. Outside air temp about 45. The bike started up and ran O.K., although I only let it run in the garage. If a connection is loose that would explain why it cuts out only when on the road. Also, it appears that the battery is getting quite marginal. So might replace it. But I tend to agree with the Triumph dealer that there is a bad connection so will work on that this weekend. If I can't trace it, and it cuts out when I test ride it again, I will just have to take it into the dealer.
Saw the pics of your bike recently. Is that the stock blue or did you paint it ? If not the stock blue, what color is that ? Looks great !! Especially that cool windscreen !!

Have you tried the new lasagna-flavored sports drinks ? They have pizza flavor, too, as well as fish and chips flavoring for the Brits & Ozzies.

[ This message was edited by: jeffster on 2006-11-29 00:58 ]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again, all. Again, thanks for your advice, especially thanks to Sport, since he was the only one to reply. It's nice being the most popular guy on this forum.
Last Saturday I bought a new battery, charged it up, and put it in the bike on Sunday. Then gave it one final attempt to get it running. Took the fuel tank off and put grease on the electrical contacts to the fuel pump. I guess I got lucky, it started and ran but then died a couple of times, before finally running without dying !! I just rode it 85 miles today without a glitch, otherwise it would have been the Glitch That Stole Christmas. The bike appears to be running completely normally. Today for the first time, I felt that I rode closer to the bike's full potential, having owned it 1 year. But it can be a handful on the backroads, prefers sweepers ! All the mods I had planned are now complete.
When I bought it, it came with Michelin Pilot Roads and they are about shot. I was never crazy about them, but I got used to them. Now I have an opportunity to try some different skins. I ride all year long here, which means riding in rain (only if I get caught in it) but usually riding after it rains on roads that can remain wet, muddy, sandy, full of potholes and generally treacherous all winter. Today there was a road crew in one canyon, so there were left-over asphalt grits around all their patches.
I HAVE read your numerous comments on the tire sticky pages and throughout the forum. Am considering the following tires - any suggestions ? Since I ride on the wet a lot and slide the rear some, these are my first considerations: Pirelli Scorpion Sync, Dunlop D 616. But how are they in the dry ? The other considerations are: Bridgestone BT-014 - I have heard great comments on this site and from a Triumph service writer in San Jose; Metzeler Z-6, also with great comments on this site; Metzeler M-1. To keep things simple, for now I will take a pass on Avons and Continentals, as well as stuff like Maxxis, Cheng Shin, Long Dong, et al. Appreciate any input. :)

[ This message was edited by: jeffster on 2006-12-05 21:45 ]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I love the Z6's...haven;t tried them on my ST yet, but I have had them on my other bike and they were great in wet and dry. Also a big fan of the Pilot Powers for wet/dry grip. Had a couple of sets while I was down there, but now I am up here in Oregon, I guess I will be testing wet more than dry

·
Registered
694 Posts
Jeffster: Check the bolts for tightness that hold the engine cutout switch for the side stand. If they are loose, it will cause the engine not to start. I had a similar intermittant problem with my 01 ST at around 15K miles while on a 3000 mile cross country trip. It would run fine and start well, but about 1200 miles into this trip it became erratic, and was dying frequently, which of course was freaking me out being so far from home. Apparenty, vibration loosened my bolts enough to allow the switch enough play that it would break the circuit, and kill the motor. 5 minutes with a wrench and some lock tight, and it's doing fine at 22K miles! Cheers, tommyturbo2

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Trotsky - Z6s keep coming up positive !!
Tommy Turbo, I'll check those bolts for tightness, although this incident was most likely caused by a fuel pump connection snafu. But I don't need the engine cutout switch causing problems down the road.
My idea about the tires is shouldn't I ride on a tire designed for my worst-case scenario ? That would be winter road sludge, dreck and gook which is there during the entirety of the rainy season. So the Pirelli Scorpion Sync and the Dunlop D 616 seem perfect for that. But how would they be during the rest of the year ? Actually I ride back roads a lot and they always have crud on them, although not nearly as much in summer. Maybe I should be the guinea pig for one of these tires ? Have any of you ridden either of these 2 ?
Oh, and in the literature for the new battery I bought, they specced (specked ?) (spec'd ?) that the battery should always have minimum 12. 8V. but since my identically spec'd prior battery was at 12.5V it is just one more sign that the battery was on the way out. The new battery cranks with lots more spunk!!

[ This message was edited by: jeffster on 2006-12-06 01:51 ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts