Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in dire need of some new exhausts, and the list is short. I don't see much input/opinions for the Sprint Exhausts. They're on Newbonneville.com for only $339.99, so the price is right, but what about quality and performance?

Anybody got them? Anybody heard good or bad things of them? Are they stainless steel?

You can check out the sound on Newbonneville.com and this excellent Sample clip.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I believe that these are the same as the EMGO manufactured burgess mufflers that are direct replacements for the sixties Meriden twins.

I installed the EMGO burgess mufflers on my Bonnie black and liked them, they are quite loud though. The quality of the chrome is very good (you could do a search for EMGO or Burgess and find more on the ratnet).

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Iceseven is correct...they are the EMGO mufflers manufactured to be the replacements for the 60's Triumphs.
I also agree with the loudness and quality of chrome statement. I've had mine for almost 2-years now and I've noticed no rusting or other defects. The mounting brackets which comes with the Newbonneville Sprints are well manufactured in England I believe and powder coated.
I installed the JC Whitney 1 1/2" baffles in front of the included adaptor pipe inside of the header pipes to eliminate some of the loudness at idle and to give some back pressure because the pipes are straight through.
The sound quality in my opinion can best be described as an agressive growl (particularily when you get past 3500 RPM) and will get you noticed :-D . The soundclip on the Newbonneville site don't do them justice...I have set-off car alarms with them.

Shorty

[ This message was edited by: Shorty on 2006-12-12 06:07 ]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2006-12-12 05:51, Shorty wrote:
Iceseven is correct...they are the EMGO mufflers manufactured to be the replacements for the 60's Triumphs.
I also agree with the loudness and quality of chrome statement. I've had mine for almost 2-years now and I've noticed no rusting or other defects. The mounting brackets which comes with the Newbonneville Sprints are well manufactured in England I believe and powder coated.
I installed the JC Whitney 1 1/2" baffles in front of the included adaptor pipe inside of the header pipes to eliminate some of the loudness at idle and to give some back pressure because the pipes are straight through.
The sound quality in my opinion can best be described as an agressive growl (particularily when you get past 3500 RPM) and will get you noticed :-D . The soundclip on the Newbonneville site don't do them justice...I have set-off car alarms with them.

Shorty
I'm interested in those baffles and how much work it takes to install them. I went to the JC Whitney site and found a few, which do you recommend?

JC Whitney list of baffles.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The first ones for $3.99. If you get the 1 1/2 ", they will fit right into the header pipe in front of the adaptor (flared end towards the muffler). I mounted them that way because I didn't want to drill the pipes. I used a little bit of high heat RTV to hold them in place and keep them from rattling. Once you tighten the clamp, they won't go anywhere. Takes about 10 minutes tops...perfect fit.

Shorty

[ This message was edited by: Shorty on 2006-12-12 07:30 ]

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was all set to buy the predators, but now I'm rethinking that decision, as I really like the sound of the Emgo/Sprint mufflers and the classic look.

How do the Emgos compare to predators in terms of sound quality and loudness?

Also, what's high-heat RTV?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Don't know about the sound comparison, but RTV is that rubber silicon in a tube used as gasket material. About $3 or $4 a tube at Autozone. I think the red/orange colored one is the high temperature.

Shorty

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the same Emgo mufflers. Initially I found them too loud but I took Shorty's advice and purchased the baffles from JC Whitney.

Also I bought mine form Ebay for approximately $240. They came with the adaptor pipes and clamps. I found this set on Ebay. They are the same pipes for a lot less. If you buy these you will have to buy the adaptor pipes and clamps from Bellacorse.

As everyone said, the chrome on the pipes is of good quality. I haven't had any rusting over the last 5 months. The clamps however have a little rust on them. But its nothing I can't polish off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Shorty, thanks for clearing that up.

Toocaffeinated, :bow: . I just bought those mufflers on eBay. Many thanks! That's a helluva lot cheaper. Are the adapter pipes and clamps you speak of these for $59.95 from Newbonneville? (I couldn't see anything on Bellacorse's website.)

Also ordered the JC Whitney baffles.

Man I love this forum. :upthumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hmmm...I'm pondering the Sprints as well...I'm 50/50 on making a decision between the Predators (British Customs) and the Sprints? I don't mind loud...not at all...if they "get too loud" then I'll add the baffles...I'm digg'n the nostalgia-style of over the sportier looking Predators? Hmmmmm...Time will tell?

·
Registered
170 Posts
You got a great price on those pipes Saltrat! Make sure the New Bonneville kit includes a set of clamps.

Some tips:
1) These mufflers have holes for 2 bolts just like the factory cans. But the holes on these go sideways rather than lengthwise like on the factory. But you can still mount them using your factory mounts and only ONE bolt. You just have to tighten the hell out of it. If the EMGO pipes come with bolts use those, but if not, you can still use the factory allen bolts. BTW, the factory allen bolts are a pain to get off. Soak them overnight with WD40 and then use a ratchet type allen wrench if you can squeeze one in there.

2) Be sure to use some silicone inbetween the adaptor pipes/headers/pipes.

3) As Shorty mentioned the baffle should fit directly onto the header pipe and the adaptor pipe holds it in place.

4) You have to wiggle the pipes and the adaptors a bit so that the mounts go on correctly. So don't tighten anything until you have the pipes aligned correctly. If you have issues try swapping the adaptor pipes from one side to the other. Once aligned correctly, tighten the mount bolts first then then two clamps on each side.

5) You will need to rejet b/c the pipes are almost straight through.

Goodluck - You will have your bike sounding good in no time at all!

[ This message was edited by: toocaffeinated on 2006-12-13 03:17 ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love mine! They sound a lot better than stock drilled out.
No one has mentioned that they do flare out a bit. They are not straight like the stock peashooters.
The chrome is nice, the clamps and adapters fit right up, easy install.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Caffeinated,

Thanks for the tips! I've emailed Brent at Newbonneville to see if that kit will work.

You've saved me over $100! If you're ever in Salt Lake City, look me up and I'll buy you a beer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quite right BonneRocker, they do flare out a bit, but something you get used to pretty quickly!

And Saltrat glad things worked out for you and if I am ever in Salt Lake City, I will be looking for that beer.

On the tips I gave earlier...I have a correction-
Bolt the mounting brackets to the pipes first, aligned as straight as possible and well tightened. The problem comes when you try to line up the bracket (with pipe attached) with the frame and the rear peg bolt.

You sort of have to "rotate" the bracket to help it meet the frame (you'll see once you get started on it) and attach to the rear peg. This is where you have to wiggle to get everything to fit properly - then tighten the nut on the rear peg, followed by the clamps.

Email me if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I got the BellaCorse Teardrops and believe that they are composed of the same Sprint mufflers. They are quite loud, but sound just like the Meriden Triumphs of old and not nearly as bad as Harleys with drags. The BellaCorse kit is very nice BTW...it has all adapters, clamps, hangers (the one on the right has a center/side stand stop), and even includes jets (though I found the mains to be too rich). All for $380. Also, since they are direct replacements for older Triumphs, they don't say "for off-road use only" on the underside. Here is a photo of my bike with the Teardrops mounted:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
...a correction on my last post: the side/centerstand stop is on the left...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It just occured to me, my EMGO/Sprint/Teardrop mufflers that I bought on ebay don't come with a centre stand stop.

Without the rubber bumpers will the centre stand just clang and bang against my nice and new shiney exhausts?

Anyone come up with their own homemade solution to this problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What jetting would you guys recommend if i have a set of Sprint mufflers with the JC Whitney baffles?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts