Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the costs of maintaining our bikes is a high priority I thought I'd start a sticky to share what we spend so we can compare. May help someone keep from getting gouged in the future. Include a breakdown of parts and labor please. Or parts if self- maintained.

Don

I'll start:

Coolant change at dealer. $37.50. includes cost of coolant.

Don

·
Registered
186 Posts
Other than the speedo sensor on the front wheel: $250.00 (not warrantied due to friends error)

I have spent $40 (?) on brake pads and a lot more on oil.

Other than that it is just tires. Valves checked good at 12k miles. I do my own tires (3rd set on right now).

So in all $290 + oil & filters.............

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dealer did 24K service (at 26k!)
Lubed all joints and bearings, oil change, cleaned K&N, checked wheel and head bearings, valve adjustment (the only thing that needed to be done), adjusted clutch and did the recall fuel fittings.
Cost 550.00

A week later, same dealer - Phoenix international motorsports - chased down a wiring gremlin that was wreaking havoc with the starter for 30$.

Before summer hits, I will change the brake fluid and engine coolant.

That's all for maintanence, I try not to keep track of the accessories and goodies I buy for the bike. :)

*edit* Should'a mentioned that I bought this bike in September 04 with 25K on the clock.

[ This message was edited by: DragonDan on 2005-01-13 15:10 ]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Might as well start this off on a positive note. 2002 RS purchased in March of '03. First service done in Brea, CA cost me $165.00 and they uploaded Triumph's off road tune as a freebie for the Two-Bros pipe I installed. All service since has been performed by me. Normal oil changes cost $20.00 using Shell Rotella T full Syn oil and Purolator filters. At 6000 mi I needed to replace rear pads and have the rotor turned (just slightly) Pads-$36.00, Rotor turning-$8.00. At 10,250 (yes you read it right) I replaced the tires with Avon 45/46. Bought at Southwest Moto Tires for $224.00 complete with shipping. Pacific Yamaha gave me a deal on mounting (most won't) both with balancing for $30.00. Just did the 12,000 mile service check. Air filter-OK Valves-OK(no shim changes) Reused cover gasket-$0.00, Changed brake fluid $3.00, Will change out Fork fluid and coolant next month, Fork oil-$12.00, Coolamt $10.00. My total for two years service with the best motorcycle I've ever owned just under $570.00. I have purchased a few parts already on E-bay for the future or just in case when the deal was right. New front Nissin pads(both sets) $50.00, complete radiator fan assembly-$20.00, and the micro oil pump to build my own chain oiler $73.00 (ouch! and that was direc from the MFG!) All in all I have no complaints and hope I can stay away from the Triumph parts counter for a long time. They seem to charge quite a premium on their parts, but since my last bike was a 1981 Honda 900F and I had a connection with the factory I may have been spoiled just a bit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
On 2005-01-13 11:54, woodrow wrote:
Other than the speedo sensor on the front wheel: $250.00 (not warrantied due to friends error)

Other than that it is just tires. Valves checked good at 12k miles. I do my own tires (3rd set on right now).

Same speedo prob. only cost me $103.00 for the part.

I will never let a dealer spoon tires again after my $480.00 swap for my Tiger. Unless it is absolutely necessary.

500--$275
6k --$275
12K -- $550 ( dealer quoted me $350 )
18k-- in house
24K is 2k away and will be done in house.

Oil changes every 3K $55 in parts. I just can't bring my self to let it go 6K.

I have had very, very, very, very bad luck with Triumph dealers. The 2 I have used F&%K something up or charge more alot ($200 to $300) than they quote. My Honda and Kawaski dealer is the great. They have fixed problems on my Sprint the Triumph dealer couldn't.

·
Registered
709 Posts
On 2005-01-13 11:54, woodrow wrote:

Same speedo prob. only cost me $103.00 for the part.

I will never let a dealer spoon tires again after my $480.00 swap for my Tiger. Unless it is absolutely necessary.

500--$275
6k --$275
12K -- $550 ( dealer quoted me $350 )
18k-- in house
24K is 2k away and will be done in house.

Oil changes every 3K $55 in parts. I just can't bring my self to let it go 6K.

I have had very, very, very, very bad luck with Triumph dealers. The 2 I have used F&%K something up or charge more alot ($200 to $300) than they quote. My Honda and Kawaski dealer is the great. They have fixed problems on my Sprint the Triumph dealer couldn't.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Fuel Filter.

Triumph charge £34 in the UK. It looks identical to the ones used by BMW in the oilhead R series bikes. BMW sell them for £13. I wonder if there is a way of finding out if they are the same component?

Bob

·
Banned
336 Posts
Fuel Filter.

Triumph charge £34 in the UK. It looks identical to the ones used by BMW in the oilhead R series bikes. BMW sell them for £13. I wonder if there is a way of finding out if they are the same component?

Bob

·
Banned
336 Posts
[/quote]500--$275
I[/quote]

You got charged that much for the 500 mile service? Shouldn't that have been free apart from the oil and filter cost?

Bob

·
Banned
336 Posts
[/quote]500--$275
I[/quote]

You got charged that much for the 500 mile service? Shouldn't that have been free apart from the oil and filter cost?

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My initial 500 mile service costs were. $50.00 for oil and filter. $20.00 to install a modified F/P regulator to give me 60 psi. The regulator was free as it was a noisey one they had replaced but works fine. And replacing the 19 ft sprocket with an 18. N/C. They had several lying around that they had replaced from T'Birds that wanted the 19 so that was a swap.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My initial 500 mile service costs were. $50.00 for oil and filter. $20.00 to install a modified F/P regulator to give me 60 psi. The regulator was free as it was a noisey one they had replaced but works fine. And replacing the 19 ft sprocket with an 18. N/C. They had several lying around that they had replaced from T'Birds that wanted the 19 so that was a swap.

Don

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Equivalent Fuel Filters

Fuel Filter Info

There is info on it here as well,but this came up just a few days ago and I can rarely find what I'm looking for with these searches on this board or any others.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2005-04-17 04:44 ]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Equivalent Fuel Filters

Fuel Filter Info

There is info on it here as well,but this came up just a few days ago and I can rarely find what I'm looking for with these searches on this board or any others.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2005-04-17 04:44 ]

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get what I can't do myself done at Ed's Service in Hyde Park, NY.

500 mile checkup. Did the oil myself but bought it from him. No charge for the checkup.

6000 mile checkup. Again did the oil myself. He performed the fuel connector recall. Again no charge.

I haven't gone in for the 12K yet, only 9,300 miles on the bike, but I will do everything but the valve check and throttle body sync. I expect he will charge me for this, somewhere around $350.00. I will strip off the plastic and other accessories before I take it in and this should minimize my costs.

I will add that I buy my accessories from him. He gives me a small discount.

This is what I call Dealer Loyalty.

If you want a Triumph and live near or in East Central NY this is the place to go.

ctballos

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get what I can't do myself done at Ed's Service in Hyde Park, NY.

500 mile checkup. Did the oil myself but bought it from him. No charge for the checkup.

6000 mile checkup. Again did the oil myself. He performed the fuel connector recall. Again no charge.

I haven't gone in for the 12K yet, only 9,300 miles on the bike, but I will do everything but the valve check and throttle body sync. I expect he will charge me for this, somewhere around $350.00. I will strip off the plastic and other accessories before I take it in and this should minimize my costs.

I will add that I buy my accessories from him. He gives me a small discount.

This is what I call Dealer Loyalty.

If you want a Triumph and live near or in East Central NY this is the place to go.

ctballos

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ct, I've found out this too. When you have a good dealer and you support them, they will support you. My dealer's prices on maintaince are good enough that I usually just take it into them.

For some consideration I get consideration and all works well.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ct, I've found out this too. When you have a good dealer and you support them, they will support you. My dealer's prices on maintaince are good enough that I usually just take it into them.

For some consideration I get consideration and all works well.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On Brakes.

If anyone is interested I saw an ad. in Sport Rider mag.

Carbon Loranne (sp) has an ad. where you take the ad. to your dealer and buy the fronts you get the rear set free.

Actually, You don't even need the ad. Just have your dealer call. C/L is just interested in getting their product out.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On Brakes.

If anyone is interested I saw an ad. in Sport Rider mag.

Carbon Loranne (sp) has an ad. where you take the ad. to your dealer and buy the fronts you get the rear set free.

Actually, You don't even need the ad. Just have your dealer call. C/L is just interested in getting their product out.

Don

1 - 20 of 184 Posts