Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Sprint Luggage

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  BskiBeat 
#1 ·
Hi chap(ess)s,

I’m currently going though the nightmare of attempting to put luggage on my 2003 ST.

I know they say that nothing worthwhile is easy, but FFS !!!

My bike came luggage free with a grab rail. I did not initially intend to use it for touring, but as it’s probably the best bike I’ve ridden for long distance, ( ie. the butt range and fuel range are very similar), I thought I would just add the luggage components.

Boy was I naive. I honestly thought it would be half an hour on eBay then an hour or so spannering.

Nobody appears to make an aftermarket kit for luggage, Triumph parts are virtually nonexistent and when found have crucial parts missing.

So, to my question:
Does anyone know a way of fitting three cases to the sprint without using the non- existent meccano set from triumph ?

Cheers

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Dave,

I'm a little confused whether you are looking for Triumph's OEM luggage, or after market? Maybe either/or depending on what you find? Not long ago I joined a Sprint ST Facebook group (and also the RS group) and within a fairly short period I've seen UK riders posting luggage for sale. Give it a try. Right now there may be someone selling green bags and hardware.

(Maybe this link works? https://www.facebook.com/groups/113..._id=1559824879532284&notif_t=group_highlights )

#3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the reply and the link.
Basically I want to put hard bags on and my bike has no fittings at all.
Sadly, this seems to be a momentous task if I want to use the oem kit.

I’ve been working on bikes on and off for about 45 years, and never have I seen such a kerfuffle as the fitting procedure for the the oem kit. Moving seat locks, fitting tail support brackets, changing indicators etc. Crazy.

The worst part is that because of the complexity, most of the stuff for sale second hand seems to be missing vital components, or even bits from the wrong bike.

It appears the Triumph tried to ensure that only Triumph dealers could do it originally. But now there are no parts left we are left hanging if we want to go from no luggage to luggage.

Oddly, there seems to be no aftermarket kit available for the st 955. Unless my searching prowess us fading with age.

Currently I’m looking at a wing rack 2 with universal kit.

Has anyone ever tried fitting one to a sprint ?

Cheers

Dave

#5 ·
Dave. Hepco & Becker sells a hard pannier rack for about 250 British Pounds (can't find the symbol on my tablet). It's their p/n 650760 00 01.

Then you can mount something like an H&B Junior hard bag set to it.

#6 ·
Hi Scottie,
Many thanks for the pointer, that looks like exactly what I need..

However, having totted it all up it comes to slightly in excess of £700 !

It looks like quality kit but it's a bit out of my range at the moment. I might have to save for a couple of months to get that setup. :(

I was hoping to get the bits on eBay and I already have a set of GIVI panniers. They probably aren't the quality of the H&B ones, but they don't leak and are zero cost.

I looked at sw-motech, but they don't do side panniers for the sprint 955i, as far as I can see.

Many Thanks

Dave

#7 ·
You might consider soft luggage. I came across a pic of Triumph soft luggage in fact, probably unobtainable.

#10 ·
No not standard on all models all the time, when I bought new my 2004 Sprint ST bags were not part of the deal.

Triumph had different deals about this at different times on some models that included the panniers.

When I traded for my 2011 Sprint GT I did get the panniers as part of the new bike deal.
Thhis may also have differed from market to market (country).

cheers
DaveM:smile2:

#12 ·
Hi BskiBeat,

I'm not too bad with spannering, but I'm getting stressed out at the thought of fitting that lot, let alone making it first !
Maybe 20 years ago I would have considered it, but nowadays ? Nah !

On the other hand, thank you for the comprehensive parts list, that should help me see if there are bits missing should I happen to find a set online.

Thanks again

Dave

#13 ·
Hi Road Hazard,

My bike came with no luggage fittings at all and a grab rail :(
I didn't consider it at first because I initially got the bike as a runaround and commuter.
After a couple of weeks, my eyes were opened to the joys of sprinting :)

As it's a sports tourer, I didn't think it would be a big deal to slap some hard panniers on it, it seems I was incorrect.

Currently, I'm looking for options, the OEM rear rack seems unobtainable, and all the panniers I have seen for sale "with fittings" seem to have major components missing.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket kit around for the Sprint.

By the way - what is the aftermarket kit on the red sprint in the top photo ?

Cheers

Dave

PS. Has anyone else been caught out with the "You are not logged in" trap after typing a lengthy response ?
I don't mind being told to log in, but I wish it wouldn't throw away all my text.

D.

#16 ·
Currently, I'm looking for options, the OEM rear rack seems unobtainable, and all the panniers I have seen for sale "with fittings" seem to have major components missing.
The rear luggage rack? Pure unobtainium. Trust me, I have secreted two of them.

The pannier racks, hard to find but they come up in our classifieds section sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
PS. Has anyone else been caught out with the "You are not logged in" trap after typing a lengthy response ?
I don't mind being told to log in, but I wish it wouldn't throw away all my text.

D.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have been caught with this on a laptop, not lately though as the iPad stays logged in. I resorted to copying the text before posting, just in case it was lost

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks Rayman,
But sadly, I think the shipping costs would be a bit prohibitive :{

Also, the more I read about the sprint panniers, the less enthusiastic I become, apparently they leak like colanders in the wet. They do suit the bike though.

I was looking at a wingrack 2, but after a bit of photoshopping, I have decided that the practicallity is outweighed by the gruesome appearance.
It looks a little like something George Lucas dreamed up.
And it's not easily removable.

SW-Motech, although easily removable, is now not available for the sprint apart from the top rack, which seems to have reliability issues.

Givi ? Nope. Seems they never made anything for the Sprint.

Hepco and Becker seems like the best option available currently and although the top rack is fairly permanent, the side panniers look as if they will spanner off and on fairly easily.

I'm still looking, but thanks everyone who has responded for your input, it has certainly helped me a lot.

Many thanks

Dave

#19 ·
I'll just mention again the two groups on Facebook, on specific to STs and one to RSs. Granted the two groups are dominated by UK members, but there are quite a few US folks, and parts come up pretty often.

#21 ·
I have that Hepco & Becker stuff on my Buell Ulysses.
The cases just pop right and off.
I can't tell from the photos but the Junior may have metal latches which is a good thing. If nothing else they have two latches per bag which is a plus.
My Ulysses has the Journey bags and the sole plastic latch will just snap in two if you put ANY pressure on it.
They stayed waterproof for over 120,000 miles.

#23 ·
Hi Dibnah,

I've got several Givi boxes, but I need to mount side panniers as well.

I would love to use the Givi kit, but unless I've missed something, there is no way to do it these days.
I believe Givi made a fixing kit some years back, but none available now.

I've been doing the sums, and it may actually be cheaper to chop in the sprint and buy one with luggage, than try to fit luggage to my existing bike.

Grrr.

Dave

#24 ·
Hi Gents:
I hope you realise that the panniers for the Sprint 955 and ST are the same for the (now ancient) Trophy models. It might be worthwhile searching for them online using "Trophy".
From what I am reading here, I must be a very lucky bugger. I bought extra bits and pieces years ago on eBay that had been in crashes and suffered cosmetic damage. I have repaired and repainted quite a few of these in custom paint for my bike and swap them out on routine basis for maintenance. I do have extra lock assemblies if anyone needs some. They can easily be recombinated to match your current keys.
Cheers,
Howard
'03 Blue ST
Philadelphia

#25 ·
Hi Gents:
They can easily be recombinated to match your current keys.
By this do you mean that the locks can be switched out, or that the locks can be altered to work with different keys?

#26 ·
They bags themselves are the same, I believe. I wonder if the pannier racks interchange. Hmmm.

Good suggestion

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Chickenstrip: The silver barrel in the centre of the lock assembly can be removed and set to fit your current key or another you may have. Any competent locksmith can do this, or if you're handy and willing to learn a few tricks on how this is done, you can do it yourself. Search online for a "how to" video or page that explain how locks can be changed. As I stated earlier, if any of you need some locks for your panniers, I have some from salvage bikes.
Good luck and safe riding,
H

#28 ·
Ahh, a video like this covers it ... I didn't know it was that simple. I'll give it a try on one of my extra locks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.