Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out an '03 Sprint with over 50k. If taken care of how long should I expect this bike to last? Is this too many miles? Should I keep looking for a lower mileage bike?

Thanks for your advice,
-Mick

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Mick32,

I've never heard of anyone wearing one out. And 50K isn't that much; it's just that most bikes spend most of their lives on a sidestand in a garage and have relatively few miles on them.

Or, it could be my '03. I ride mine whenever I get a chance, and commute to work as much as possible. But, it's 6 miles to my office, so my mileage is 'only' 24K right now.

If the price is right (and it should be roughly $5000, IMO), and the bike has been properly maintained, I see no reason to get it.

Again, it should have the side bags. IIRC, '03 and '04 bikes (ST's, that is) came with them.

pr

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ive read about more than a few owners who have 100,000miles on their ST's. I would consider a 50,000mile ST IF...the owner has all documentation/reciepts for the service and work performed during the bikes' lifetime. No proof of proper maintinance = no dice. A properly maintained ST will last a long time.

Any more info? Has it ever been down or wrecked? Any extensive mod's? When I buy a used bike (reguardless of mileage) these are some of the things i take into concideration before plopping my $ down. I try to aways go for; stock (as possible) bikes, bikes with clean titles (no R or S titles), and little or no damage. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just be careful.

My one buddy takes care of motorcycles better than anyone I know. He changes the oil every 2,000 miles with Mobile 1, regardless of how long it's been. He's a God to motorcycles.

His Kawi Vulcan has 73k miles on it. It recently developed a connecting rod knock. It's been getting worse each week. The only way to fix it is to rebuild the motor. But, it's not worth it to do that. It's only a Jap throw away bike.

Still though, for a bike that's been taken care of better than any other bike.....73k miles is not a lot.

So be careful when buying that bike, regardless of how good you think he took care of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a 2003 with 2000 miles for $5000 and its super-clean, so IMO $5000 would be a little steep. It came with some nice factory extras as well. I had to have it shipped, but I split that with the seller. I had a 2000 with low miles on it a few years back, but I forget what I paid for it.

There are lots of things to consider. I'm assuming you have physical access to the bike; make sure you check long and hard under the headstock, around the triple tree, and such. Look for surface rust or evidence the bike has spent a lot of time sitting outside. Try to get under the faring panels as well as underneath the bike and look for signs of abuse or wear. Also check the sprockets and the condition of the teeth.

If it was well maintained, you should be OK, but you can definitely find lower millage examples if you're willing to travel or ship.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the key is how well it was cared for. i've heard great things about sprint longevity. two caveats:

50k IS a lot for any bike, IMHO. especially for what you are paying. it would have to be immaculate for me to pay that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the excellent input. I truly enjoy the thoughtful input. You guys are great! I'm leaning towards taking my time to find a lower mileage bike. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

-Mick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the excellent input. I truly enjoy the thoughtful input. You guys are great! I'm leaning towards taking my time to find a lower mileage bike. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

-Mick
You won't. They're out there. Start on Cycle Trader and Ebay and move on from there. You'll be surprised what's out there. If you can push up your budget to 6500-7000 (I know, big push) you may even find yourself a nice 2005+ model. The fact of the matter is that the economy stinks and people need to get rid of toys.

Good luck!!!

(PS: Shipping isn't as bad as most people think. I've done it twice with good results.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased an 01 sprint st with the factory rear hard bags. It had 6300 miles on it an was a original owner.

I found it on craigslist. he wanted 4300 but since it needed tires/battery he took $3700. there are deals out there...check craigslist in your area and surrounding areas.

you have to check the adds often as the postings only last 30 days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just purchased an 01 sprint st with the factory rear hard bags. It had 6300 miles on it an was a original owner.

I found it on craigslist. he wanted 4300 but since it needed tires/battery he took $3700. there are deals out there...check craigslist in your area and surrounding areas.

you have to check the adds often as the postings only last 30 days.
Looks like you got a good deal. I'll keep looking...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts