Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

my 98 sprint exec was running along just fine, when it simply stopped. that's it, on the freeway and then no power. I got off to the side just fine and tried to start it. it cranked good and strong but the engine just wouldn't turn over.
it exhibited all of the symptoms of running out of fuel. so I sat there and wondered what to do. made a few phone calls, and lo and behold, she started up. I headed home and almost made it when it died again. so I figured there was a fuel delivery problem.
found a very bent hose, corrected that and off I went. no good, it stopped a short while later. since this came totally from nowhere, I'm wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them, and if so, what was the solution. I'm considering the fuel filter. bike has 22k on it and has been running fine except a bit hot. it wasn't hot at the time.

thanks
lee

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ignition pick up sensor (crank position sensor). It's under the right crank end cover (about 8 screws). May be worth checking the gap, but you'll probably need a new one. I had this exact same thing happen. When I took mine off to check it, it literally fell apart.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
+1 on that - classic pickup symptoms. Regapping generally doesnt help as they dont tend to move

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Okay, if I get my Texas license by Wednesday & still don't have a job, I will write up a sticky for this.

(No offense, Lee.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
offense? for what? helping me and others out?

I was basically convinced it was some kind of fuel restriction, so this is great news, actual real info.

now I have to wait until tuesday, since it is a holiday here in the states.

thanks all
lee

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all better

thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction.

it was the ignition sensor, once fixed it is running sweetly once again.

it took a while, since the triumph website was down tuesday, the dealer's site wednesday, the part arrived at the dealer thursday, and it was replaced friday.

amazing thing, my closest dealer charged me 71.84 for the sensor and 8.12 (us) for the gasket. one that is farther away and has a very good reputation said the part cost 138.

I may call them back and ask about that, but it's done now and I'm happy again.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Sounds like the dealer farther away quoted you for an ignition coil rather than a pickup coil.

Good to hear it's back up & running, enjoy! :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Anyone ever report a new-style pickup failing?

If not, wondering whether replacing the old-style pick-up should be an S.O.P. replacement (maybe even a FAQ item) before it fails.

The new part can be had for < $60 and it is dirt-simple, even for a nearly-no-tool novice, to replace. And will save at least one long walk home.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm hoping that I got a new style one. do you know what the difference is? and do you know when they changed over?

thanks

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts