Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sprint GT with 18000 KMs. The vibration seems to be getting worse, first noticeable at 120 KM and gets bad at 140+ KM. Please some tips how to troubleshoot and deal with the vibration issue. Thks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The usual culprit is the final chain. Either worn out (see the front sprocket) or too tight or not enough.
People report also some cases where some engine mounting bolts got undone.

When you speak about km do you refer to speed (km/h) or mileage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The bike has 18000 KMS and the vibration is noticed at 120 KM/HR and gets worse from there and bad at 145 KM/HR. I did look at the chain, its well lubed and dont see any wear or damage. Front sprocket looks great. No sharp edges to suggest excessive wear. I did read a post suggesting loose steering head bearings.

·
3,064 Posts
Can you give more of a description of this vibration? Does it seem like its up front, like you feel it in the handlebars? Do you feel it in the seat? Or in your footpegs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too had a vibration problem with my GT at a similar mileage. Mine was a vibration that corresponded to engine revs and at the time was very VERY worrying. tried all sorts - injectors ,plugs, lots of advice but could get nowhere toward sorting it. Searches on the net showed nothing and friends advised trading bike for something else. I was thinking crank somehow was problem but it was running fine at lower revs. One day I even decided blow or not and had a few miles on a dual carraigeway at over 140mph. Bike seemed fine so decided that I still had not found My problem. More net searches and did find one that mentioned engine mount bolts. They seemed fine but I went through the pattern of loosening and retighten to torque as in the book. Well bike transformed. That was definitely the problem. Since then have read of others with same problem. So now I have put another 40000m on the bike and all still good.
Could be your problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts