Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Sprint GT tires & brakes

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  fredsprint 
#1 ·
Good day! I need tires & brakes for my new to me Sprint GT. Current tires are squared off Metzler Roadtec 01's. They are not the HVM's. Are you fellow GT riders using the heavy vehicle spec tires on your GT's? What brands have brought you good results?

Brakes on my bike are ebc organics & are close to being teplaced. They seem ok. On my Jap bikes, OEM was always the recommended choice. What are recommended by my fellow GT'ers? Thanks!

#3 ·
EBC HH for the pads on everything in the shed.
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 GT is what I just fitted to my '00 ST and they're very nice indeed.
Alternative is the Michelin Road 5 GT which I've just fitted to my VFR800fi. I haven't had a chance to ride on the Road 5 GT tires yet as I'm just reassembling the bike post respray.
I do buy the GT version of the tires as all of the sport bike tires on the market are weight limited out when I put my 280lbs in gear + anything at all in the luggage, on all 3 of my bikes.
The benefit of running the GT tire is that even though our bikes aren't Lewd Wing heavy - they're certainly larger boned than a lithe sprot bile, and GT tires will give many more miles than the non-GT versions.

#7 ·
Been running Pilot Road 5s for around 5,000 miles now and Road 4s around 7.000 miles before that. I like them but they wear strange, the front goes first and I have scalloping on both the front and rear, so I’m going elsewhere for my next set, probably Angel GTs or Roadsmart 3s. Grip never wavered, especially in the wet, but it’s just unnerving.

As far as brakes, EBC rotors and pads on mine, highly recommended.

#16 ·
I've currently got BT-023s on my GT, it's the GT version (heavy bike) on the rear. Looks like the rear is going to outlast the front, as the front is going bald on the sides, so it's beginning to look like a 50p from above. That's with about 5k miles on the front, I'll run it till it's dangerous (it's already a little odd & slippy in the wet) then change the pair for Avon Storm 3D XMs that I've got waiting.

I won't buy michelins after PR4GTs fell apart on my GSX1400 & michelin's response was to delay collecting the tyre for inspection for as long as possible & then ignore all communication. Considering it'd delaminated & thrown chunks of rubber away while I was touring the Alps I'd have hoped for a better response from what is meant to be a good tyre company.

#17 ·
I do have to laugh at myself sometimes. I picked up some brake pads for the Sprint GT. (Ferodo hh for the front, ebc extreme duty hh for the back) I didn't realize just how thin the brake material on new brake pads are. Lets just say it will be quite a while before I'll need to change the pads but I'm ready🤭!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.