Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The bike was new as I mentioned (0 miles) and on the day of delivery the dealer was in the process of handing over the GT to me when during the demonstration of the pannier operation, I could not unlock one of them. At this point we agreed it could be fixed at the first service. Subsequently after I had ridden the bike home it became apparent that to resolve the problem the dealer would have to replace all four locks and replace the panniers. At this stage I explained that to replace all the locks would mean substantial 'repairs' that I would not accept on a new bike (I would not accept a warranty fix as the fault occurred in the showroom).
Both MCS and Triumph have shown exemplary customer focus in dealing with this issue. I have owned Hinckley Triumphs since 1993 and I am not really surprised at this behaviour. It has not cost Triumph very much much (they have another demo bike on their books which can be sold with only a few miles on it). They have gained much in future sales from me and anyone else who hears about this (and other) incident. I wish many other companies would behave like this!
My right one always had a tendency to catch on. Never took the time to take it apart though. The behavior of the lock hardly changed since I bought it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I am in the process of buying a 2012 Sprint GT in an effort to give Wifey a little more leg room. It has a 3pce factory luggage set and the seller advises that the power socket in the top box has a broken pin so hopefully the sub harness won't be too expensive, as in my past experience anything branded 'Triumph' is with my last 955 Sprint ST. From what I've seen online there are a number of issues with the Triumph Sprint ST 1050 panniers, namely a lack of space, waterproofness in earlier bikes and barrels falling out etc - I'm hoping these have been fixed with the roomier, more waterproof GT luggage. Hope your dealer sorts it for you!
Do you have the detail of what is broken?
Assuming it's the motorcycle side (as opposed tot he top box side).

Anyway the cost is $37.06 plus shipping on bikebandit. The part number is T2353276
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2012-triumph-sprint-gt/o/m154254#sch738977 item number 6

Some grease on them would help not brake it again I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Off topic but I just picked up my Sprint GT today.
I lifted off the top box and nearly gave myself a hernia:eek:

What a flipping weight compared to my old Givi luggage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My right one always had a tendency to catch on. Never took the time to take it apart though. The behavior of the lock hardly changed since I bought it.
The seller says it's a broken pin that slides into the connector on the bike and lists prtno T2353262 - although according to BikeBandit, this only fits Tiger Explorer in 2012 model year, so dunno. Will have to wait til bike arrives I guess.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts