Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Sprint GT Panniers

11K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  snodrog 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a Sprint GT and was dismayed to find that one of the panniers was broken. The right hand pannier lock jammed and the dealer could not unlock it and remove it. For various reasons I still accepted delivery.
The dealer said this was the second bike in his dealership to have this fault.
Has anyone else experienced problems with the panniers and if so what?
So far I have not heard from the dealer as to how they plan to resolve this (apart from changing all four locks on the bike and two new panniers!).
I look forward to hearing about other people's experiences. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Palious,

They'll probably take the offending bag apart, and fix the lock. If they have to jimmy it to get it open, they'll just replace all your locksets. Or try to get you to accept a two-key setup.

You are the first GT owner I've seen post, so- Congratulations!

Now Dolson or DaveM are going to have to change the Forum banner

#5 ·
I too have problems with panniers.

They are of poor build quality. They do not close tightly enough (on the top edge) and the lock barrels are floating about in their plastic moulding.

The dealership have witnessed the problems and are awaiting a response from Triumph.

Regards
Tony

#7 ·
Hey guys congrats on the GT,s . I stopped at our local dealer on the northside of Brisbane last night and they had two in the window ,1 blue and 1 silver, I think there pretty impressive in the flesh and loved the silver but they better come up with some a market alternatives for that muffler pretty quick :eek:. Hope you post lots of info on your riding impressions for us mere mortals to peruse lol cheers.:)

#8 ·
Pannier issues

Hi Guys

I noticed a problem with mine and managed to scratch the left hand side pannier on day of owning my GT problem is as follows:

the clip together retaining strap on mine did hold any weight when in the open horzontal position, i could not even set a set of waterproof trousers on the lowered pannier lid without the the strap popping apart hence; the right hand pannier would smash against the exhaust and the left hand side if on the side stand would then fall down and it actually scrapes the ground. Intrim solution was to use a couple of cable/zip ties and tie the 2 ends of the clip together,long term solution is speak to your dealer and i am now awaiting new straps and pannier outter lid on warranty no questions asked so thank you Mr Dealer ,and i'm now happy,but a bit surprised when when the straps did give way considering the weight that people will put in them when touring (as per user handbook !!!)

#11 ·
GT Pannier problem resolved!

I can now let you all know how the lock problem with my GT panniers has been resolved.

The dealer (MCS in Glasgow) has replaced the bike with a new one! This is an excellant outcome. Triumph recognised the problem as being greater than a simple locking issue. It transpires that lock barrels cannot be replaced therefore if one fails they all need to be changed to retain a 'single key' system on a bike. Therefore, I would not accept having multiple keys for my bike and with some suitably worded communications, MCS and Triumph decided that a replacement bike would be the way forward.
A situation like this is a real opportunity for a company to excel and MCS and Triumph have done this.
Many thanks to Alan at MCS in making this happen and to Triumph for also being really customer focussed.

#13 ·
Am I reading this correctly?

You had a lock on a pannier that was broken and Triumph have replaced the motorcycle???

That sounds like the most awesome result I have ever heard of!

I'm thinking that it would have been more cost effective and perhaps practical to replace the luggage system and ignition barrel on the bike so that the single key remains?

Or am I missing something?

#14 ·
lock replacement....

..is not easy because you have to replace four locks (ignition/steering, fairing 'glove' box, fuel tank filler and seat lock!

On a brand new bike I was not going to accept such repairs. This was not a warranty 'repair' as the bike was faulty at delivery!

#15 ·
Fair enough if it was like that on the show room floor.

Was there any mileage on it?

In my part of the world I highly doubt a whole new bike would have been delivered. The dealer would have replaced the luggage and all the locks and probably even asked if a single key operation was wanted, offering two keys as it was just a luggage lock that was faulty.

None the less, its an extraordinary result for you.

#16 ·
The bike was new as I mentioned (0 miles) and on the day of delivery the dealer was in the process of handing over the GT to me when during the demonstration of the pannier operation, I could not unlock one of them. At this point we agreed it could be fixed at the first service. Subsequently after I had ridden the bike home it became apparent that to resolve the problem the dealer would have to replace all four locks and replace the panniers. At this stage I explained that to replace all the locks would mean substantial 'repairs' that I would not accept on a new bike (I would not accept a warranty fix as the fault occurred in the showroom).
Both MCS and Triumph have shown exemplary customer focus in dealing with this issue. I have owned Hinckley Triumphs since 1993 and I am not really surprised at this behaviour. It has not cost Triumph very much much (they have another demo bike on their books which can be sold with only a few miles on it). They have gained much in future sales from me and anyone else who hears about this (and other) incident. I wish many other companies would behave like this!

#17 ·
The same problem!

I had exactly the problem you describe. I found a way of manipulating the handle etc. to get the lock to function and decided I have to live with it. However, just yesterday, after a year of living with a broken lock, I tried to close the pannier with my jacket hanging between the two sides. I heard a crack and the plastic case was broken. Seriously! The guy in the dealership said "Triumph make bikes - not bags." I only hope he's right and that no other part of my bike is as crap as the cases are. Worst of all is that I don't know what to do now. I want luggage for the longer journeys but I don't want to spend the money on something I can't trust - and I know of no other options. I was tempted to buy the top box but I'm thinking - with and expectation of the same quality (or lack of it) I would be mad to risk it!

#19 ·
I too am a GT owner and have posted here before. I am on my second GT, the first one was written off (smidsy). I still have the panniers from that bike and the new bike in the same colour means I have 4 silver panniers. none of which have any faults or problems. Its true the locks cannot be removed by a dealer, but they can be drilled out by inserting a drill down the centre of the lock to an exact depth. I did it with the panniers on my tiger, its fraught, but possible. It removes the link that holds the spring catch in position. Get it wrong and its a new lid reqd. SOOOOO if anyone wants a pair of silver GT panniers that have never been marked or abused, but need the locks removing, I await your call...
Seriously, it must be easier to change the locks than the bike, but what a result. well done mr T

#20 ·
I have just purchased a Sprint GT and was dismayed to find that one of the panniers was broken. The right hand pannier lock jammed and the dealer could not unlock it and remove it. For various reasons I still accepted delivery.
The dealer said this was the second bike in his dealership to have this fault.
Has anyone else experienced problems with the panniers and if so what?
So far I have not heard from the dealer as to how they plan to resolve this (apart from changing all four locks on the bike and two new panniers!).
I look forward to hearing about other people's experiences. Thanks in advance.
I am in the process of buying a 2012 Sprint GT in an effort to give Wifey a little more leg room. It has a 3pce factory luggage set and the seller advises that the power socket in the top box has a broken pin so hopefully the sub harness won't be too expensive, as in my past experience anything branded 'Triumph' is with my last 955 Sprint ST. From what I've seen online there are a number of issues with the Triumph Sprint ST 1050 panniers, namely a lack of space, waterproofness in earlier bikes and barrels falling out etc - I'm hoping these have been fixed with the roomier, more waterproof GT luggage. Hope your dealer sorts it for you!

#22 ·
Do you have the detail of what is broken?
Assuming it's the motorcycle side (as opposed tot he top box side).

Anyway the cost is $37.06 plus shipping on bikebandit. The part number is T2353276
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2012-triumph-sprint-gt/o/m154254#sch738977 item number 6

Some grease on them would help not brake it again I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.