Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I had to replace the left (clutch side) lower fairing panel on my Sprint GT, and left with the dealer to reinstall. Upon taking off the fairing to check the coolant system, I noticed the right fairing (not replaced) had foam inserts and what would seem to be heat shielding. The new left side does not. How important is it to replace that padding, and would you know what type of adhesive is required (assuming the OEM pads are not delivered with sticky backing)?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't remember if the left side has the foam. I have replaced right side and the foam came with adhesive strip. I never bothered sticking it on.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
It should have them and come with the fairing when bought.
No. The fairing comes with the stick-on foil heat shields but not the foam blockers. The dealer should have been smart enough to ask you if you want the foam though. For the left side it's Triumph Part # T2301534.

The foam pads are to stop excess heat exiting the rear of the fairing onto a rider's legs. If you don't feel the heat then maybe you can do without. If you need them they come with adhesive - peel off the protective strip and stick in place. I believe there may be a raised alignment mark inside the fairing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2006 ST with R/R on the right side of the motor. After replacing that I took out all the blocking pads and removed the upper portion of the inner panels that surround the radiator to let the air flow through the faring. I can't say that I feel any more heat than before but it seems that the R/R is cooler and the engine gets a better flow of fresh air. I live in Massachusetts where the weather only touches into the 90's for short periods so possibly not the best approach in the hotter climes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a fairing swap on my last CBR track bike and ran no heat shielding - never warped despite the fairings being extremely cheap ABS. You can look for gold insulating tape, like what we would use on airboxes, and it should offer some sort of reflective insulating properties.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No. The fairing comes with the stick-on foil heat shields but not the foam blockers. The dealer should have been smart enough to ask you if you want the foam though. For the left side it's Triumph Part # T2301534.

The foam pads are to stop excess heat exiting the rear of the fairing onto a rider's legs. If you don't feel the heat then maybe you can do without. If you need them they come with adhesive - peel off the protective strip and stick in place. I believe there may be a raised alignment mark inside the fairing.
I have ordered two sets in my life, both times it came with everything. I didn't order through a dealer. There are alignment marks for the rubber..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did a fairing swap on my last CBR track bike and ran no heat shielding - never warped despite the fairings being extremely cheap ABS. You can look for gold insulating tape, like what we would use on airboxes, and it should offer some sort of reflective insulating properties.
Metal foil tape is easy to find. The color won't matter. It just reflects exhaust pipe heat from the plastic as you sit in traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts