Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a Garmin Zumo 220 and a Sena SMH10-11 to pair with it. I would prefer to position the Zumo in the center of the triple tree with a RAM mount. To do this it looks like I will have to drill out the center of the nut or find a different replacement nut. Anyone mount their GPS here (center position) on the Sprint and how did you do it?

I may opt to mount on the side depending on difficulty.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Zumo 220 (paired to the Sena SMH-10) and like you intended to mount it in the center. I looked into the two options oldndumb mentions. I ended up mounting it to the clutch lever, initially just to try it out since all the necessary mounting bits come in the Zumo 220 box. It's not ideal in that position, but since there are two swivel joints using the stock mount, I can adjust it to where it works well enough. I may still go with a center mount but am fine with the current set up for now. I'm also looking into a "sun visor" for the Zumo since I have trouble seeing the screen in direct sunlight.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have seen a Ram ball mounted on the steering stem nut cover. Remove the cover, drill the centre, mount the appropriate Ram ball. I used a Ram ball on the handlebar bolts on the left (GPS) and right (HD camera).

·
Registered
896 Posts
IMO, RAM mounts might work, but they are fuggly and only belong on fuggly bikes.

A search would have brought up http://telferizer.com/ or http://www.gadgetguy.net/

Either is superior in fit, form, and function than a RAM product.
both are excellent
I have seen a Ram ball mounted on the steering stem nut cover. Remove the cover, drill the centre, mount the appropriate Ram ball.
Having looked at the telferizer mounts up close, that is exactly what Telferizer do.
The OP could save himself time & money be removing the centre nut as you state, drilling a hole in it to suit any of several RAM mounts inc:
RAM-236U
RAM-B237U
RAM-B-273-M6U
Then fix the RAM mount in place, then screw the top nut back in place.
The most difficult thing will be deciding whether they want a tapered shoulder on the ram mount and a little more hight. They should also consider the hight and final position of the GPS especially if they are using a tankbag.
AS there is nothing so bad as trying to lean forward over the tankbag while riding trying to see the display on the GPS

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. There are some good YouTube videos on installation.

This one shows how to use the Ram B-342U steering stem mount for the center position I seek. However, more internet searchng on this mount revealed conflicting reviews. Some riders felt it was great and provided a solid enough mount. Others thought is was wobbly, so results seem to differ - perhaps due to individual skill, or different motorcycle models. In any case, the Sprint's steering stem cover would have to be drilled out to gain access to the tube underneath (some motorcycles have an easily removed cap). The Ram mount from Telferizer that Oldndumb mentioned above may be more solid.

I thought I would also post up this YouTube video on how to install a Zumo 220, but should apply to all Zumo's. Quite good and certainly helpful as Garmin includes very little instruction beyond a brief "quick start" manual with the unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got the Telferizer unit on my ST and love it. Strong enought to hold my old 2610 (heavy unit). 4 years never loosened on me and now holds my, much lighter, nuvi.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So how do you remove the steering stem nut? Does it require a special tool or just a very large socket to fit over the nut? I recall when I corresponded with Telferizer about this, they suggested bringing it to a Triumph dealer or other service shop and having them swap the original nut for the Telferizer nut with their ram ball insert. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
So how do you remove the steering stem nut? Does it require a special tool or just a very large socket to fit over the nut? I recall when I corresponded with Telferizer about this, they suggested bringing it to a Triumph dealer or other service shop and having them swap the original nut for the Telferizer nut with their ram ball insert. Any other suggestions?
Of course the correct size socket will work. I would give the size but do not have one to measure. Mine has a Busa nut.

Or, a pin spanner.

Or, a flat plate with appropriately spaced pins, at least three, preferably four.

Or, an approximate fit socket with pins machined in the socket sidewall to match the nut.

There are other ghetto ways to do it, but these ought to prime the initiative mode.

Or, lacking the resources, do as suggested and take it to a dealer. fifteen minutes max, but probably incur minimum charge. One more reason to maintain good relations with your dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for all the suggested methods and the very quick response. For me, the biggest drawback to taking it to the Triumph dealer is the nearest one is about 50 miles away. I may try a local shop and see if they have the correct size socket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Big Dan. I might see if I can get a pair of vice grips or mole grips around the nut. I don't want to risk scratching it up of course. The handlebar mount option you linked to is similar to one of the options Telferizer offers. I agree it would be a lot simpler than taking off the steering stem nut. Other than that it's not on center, the only issue I would have is needing a longer bolt since I have the Genmar 1" risers. So I would need a 1" longer bolt, but that should not be a big deal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That set comes with 3 bolts of different lengths, so you should still be fine.

Also, it doesn't matter that its off centre, the RAM mounts use a connecting "arm" between the base and the actual mount - so it doesn't make a difference where it is mounted.

Also, a sat nav REALLY isn't gonna throw you off balance on a heavy bike like the sprint :p

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I called my local Triumph mechanic before I started this thread and he immediately said to just drill out the steering nut and attach a Ram mount. He said that the nut is 38mm in diameter (but to check it as he was not 100% positive from memory). A check with my metric ruler seems to indicate 38mm is correct.

So for immediate use I will use one of the handlebar/clutch positions as the Zumo 220 comes with Ram attachments and bolts for this, and move later to the center.

For now, as previously posted here by PeirreOBollox (thank you), I am thinking a Ram-B-236U (Ram 1" ball connected to a 3/8" post) should work with a drilled out steering stem nut. I just need to buy a 3/8"-16 nut at a hardware store. If I want the Zumo to be higher I can use a Ram double socket arm (like the Ram-B-201U). The Zumo comes with one. These socket arms come in different lengths, so if you use a tank bag, a longer one will keep the Zumo from being obscured.

This should be just about the same as the Telferizer. Nothing against them except that it looks like its shipment from England at cost and timing unknown.

This web link shows the Ram 1" ball and double socket arm that I mentioned above:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...d/082065077045066045050051054085/Default.aspx

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The Telferizer is much more elegant to me than the double socket arm. But, we all have our own preferences.

If you do get around to drilling the center of the steering nut, send me a PM first. I might be able to help. Also, if you end up going that route, it is feasible to take the ball you would have been using with the arm and shorten and tap it for use with a drilled stem nut.

Inspect the RAM double socket arm very closely upon receipt and ask for a replacement if you detect surface defects such as pits filled in with their thick paint. I have encountered RAM parts with porosity on two occasions.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Telferizer is much more elegant to me than the double socket arm. But, we all have our own preferences.
One only uses the double socket arm if you want the GPS unit (or other apperatus such as radar detector, camera, etc.) raised up. Otherwise the Telferizer and Ram-B-236U are going to look about the same - a rigidedly mounted Ram ball on a steering stem nut -with each using a double socket arm if you want the attached apperatus higher.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another tick for the Telfer option here - its a neat top quality job.

Just use a big FO adjustable spanner, but just mind the tank and protect it with some cloth when you do it, or you will cry if you damage the tank.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yet another possible option for a center-mounted GPS is this one from Triumph for the Sprint ST. It's rock solid but who knows if it will even fit a GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did this for my 660 on the ST.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-fo...nd-some-details-on-my-09st-2.html#post2356338

Slightly off centre, but keeps it up above the ignition so there is no access issues, and clear of any obstructions. Havent had the bike back on the road since i did it though, but my instrument view is clear from the saddle.
edit: It also keeps the RAM ball below the level of the yoke, so it all generally looks a bit more neat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts