Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
00 thru 04 ST / RS factory luggage rack.
Has anyone fitted one of these themselves to an RS ?
I tried and it fits fine with the four bolt positions that take the rack or a grab rail, but for the rack there are 2-additional pieces one ahead and one behind the rack. These fit under the sub frame, but the front one will not go in the correct position to align fastener holes. The rear one will not go into position because of welds on the inside of the sub frame.
Has anyone else experienced a problem in doing this?
Ray W.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Yes, it`s a sh!t of a job, all I can say is persevere. I did this job over a year ago and I`ve just gone out and taken the seat off to see if I could remember how to fix the problem. When I was fitting it, I had to remove the rear fender, I can remember swearing a lot and having exactly the same problem as you did. They DO fit, trust me and are also necessary or you can crack the frame whilst carrying luggage. Sorry I can`t remember exactly how I got it to fit. My wife has the digital camera at the moment, if you get really stuck, send me a PM and I`ll take some pics of the brackets which may help you.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If I remember correctly, it is the plastic tray (for lack of a more precise term) that is the problem. Its sides come up and make putting one of the metal cross pieces a bear to put in. You tug and push, grunt and groan and it finally goes in. If you are one of little patience like someone I know, you get a dremel and do a bit of trimming. Helps but still not a good fit. My experience with that whole business has been a pain. Not too long ago I drilled out the rear holes so I could just put a nut on the end of a longer bolt rather than try to line up about three different layers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouragement guys yea thanks, joking aside it's comforting to know it's not just me.
The dremel mods for the rear, did you dress off the welds up inside the sub frame ? I understand what you did with the hole drilling and longer bolts.
The front bracket did you have to trim anything off the welds of the bracket to allow the holes to align ? mine are mis-aligned by about 3/8 in.
I have some pictures but don't know how to attach on this site.
Cheers Ray W.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts