Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at sprint executive. any thing I should check before purchase.
what makes the executive differ from other sprints.
it is a 97 with 25k miles.
I have owned an 04 daytona, an 04 thruxton and 2 america's
the 07 america is currently for sale though I have not listed here.
I will want to get a taller screen and possibly riser spacers.
I am looking for long ride comfort.
it also has a corbin seat.
Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
These things are pretty much bulletproof, so there's not much to check other than the normal things you'd look for on a used bike. There is a major service due at 24K miles so I'd check to make sure it's been done. My dealer wanted $600 for the service.
AFAIK the Executive is basically just a Sprint with the hard bags from the Trophy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great, I have a top box on my vast parts shelf and I will just have to paint to match and get the rack for attachment.
now I just need to sell my 07 america, or get something reasonable for trade in.
guess I will be calling the dealer on monday.

·
Registered
107 Posts
These things are pretty much bulletproof, so there's not much to check other than the normal things you'd look for on a used bike. There is a major service due at 24K miles so I'd check to make sure it's been done. My dealer wanted $600 for the service.
AFAIK the Executive is basically just a Sprint with the hard bags from the Trophy.
I think they also have the larger footpegs and different footpeg-mounts from the Trophy.
--
Clem

·
Registered
69 Posts
executive

I just got one, a 98, and was also wondering what was different. so I can just get the 'regular' sprint stuff?
here is a shot of mine.
yes it is very clean, only had 15,500 miles when I got it.
I have added a laminar lip to ease the wind, it already has aftermarket riser bars so I sit more upright. I haven't had it on a long ride yet, only about 70 miles one way so far.
and that is a corbin seat.
definitely interested in any other comments or thoughts about the exec.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Wow, that looks sweet!

As seumas said, they are a bullet proof unit. A potential problem can be failure of the starter sprag but a strong battery kept on a tender should help keep that problem at bay.

The alternator drive rotor bolt can sometimes come loose or snap which causes a very distinct rattle at idle. This is real easy to fix if you have tools and some basic mechanical knowledge.

Other niggling problems may be coils and/or the sensor on the crank but on such low mileage examples, I doubt that you would have to worry about those things anytime soon.

Check the hydraulics, they might benefit from a good bleed. the clutch in particular seems to get gunked up with brown goo. If it has been properly maintained, it won't be a problem.

Like any other machine, keep the oil changes up to scratch and do the required maintenance. A bit of TLC and your Sprint will take you anywhere with confidence for a long time to come.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's very tasty!
My sensible side always wanted the Sprint Executive and had I ever seen one at a reasonable price I would've snapped it up.......
Instead I hooked up with her ****ty twin-sister; the Sprint Sport.
--
Clem
(hmm; apparently I can't say ****ty. How about "dirty" then?)

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
The alternator drive rotor bolt can sometimes come loose or snap which causes a very distinct rattle at idle. ....
I haven't heard of that one before.
My SS rattles like a diesel with rattling-rattles at idle.
Where is the bolt?
Thanks ..... Clem

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does the rattle get quieter when you turn the headlight on?

To check the bolt you need to remover the alternator. Then you may find the bolt loose in the shaft (this was how my current bike was) or be able to pull the shaft out (dont pull all the way though!. this was on my trident and was caused by the shaft being broken!)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Does the rattle get quieter when you turn the headlight on?

To check the bolt you need to remover the alternator. Then you may find the bolt loose in the shaft (this was how my current bike was) or be able to pull the shaft out (dont pull all the way though!. this was on my trident and was caused by the shaft being broken!)
Yes, it does! The electrical load caused by the headlight takes up the slack in the spline and quietens up the rattle. Its not the best design really, the bolt is too small and the spline wears!

If you have a look at MotT3's web page, he has a very comprehensive guide to the alternator fix and most other things too. ;)

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I haven't heard of that one before.
My SS rattles like a diesel with rattling-rattles at idle.
Where is the bolt?
Thanks ..... Clem
Hey Clem, I can help you identify the alternator rattle and give you a hand to fix it if it needs doing. I have torx sockets to get the alternator bolts out, I did replace them with stainless socket heads though.

I'm at Ipswich, give me a yell if you want to catch up...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am looking at sprint executive. any thing I should check before purchase.
what makes the executive differ from other sprints.
it is a 97 with 25k miles.
I have owned an 04 daytona, an 04 thruxton and 2 america's
the 07 america is currently for sale though I have not listed here.
I will want to get a taller screen and possibly riser spacers.
I am looking for long ride comfort.
it also has a corbin seat.
Thanks
Pete

Pete, the comments so far have been spot on. I have a '98 which has over 55K miles. I, too, have the Corbin seat and don't think twice about making a 200+ mile run on the bike. In fact, I put around 4K miles on the bike last year just for business purposes .....some of the runs were 3+ hours in the saddle each way.

The alternator bolt broke on mine as well...I replaced it with a hardened caphead (allen key) bolt with a much higher Rockwell hardness rating. No problems in 8K miles so far. I average 48-55 mpg riding at reasonable speeds (<100 mph) and run a full synthetic oil in the bike. I enjoy mine! Side bags hold "enough" but could have been better designed (they will NOT fit a full-face helmet!!). They DO leak, tho.... The valves are shim-type and aren't as easy to check; one of the few things the dealer does for me.

As for the fairing, as I do ride in somewhat inclement weather, I added a Rifle Sprint windscreen to the bike...breaks the wind a bit better and most of the blast is just over the top of the helmet. I have a set of risers but haven't installed them yet...I'm going to try them but haven't felt the need quite yet. Thought I'd need them immediately but after getting used to the riding position, I'm thinking twice about it. DO GET A THROTTLEMEISTER or similar system! Avoid wrist cramps...!

Anyway, my two cents worth.....YMMV.

Derswede

·
Registered
69 Posts
just a 'sprint'

seumas says on page one that the executive is just a 'sprint' with trophy bags. is there just a 'sprint'? I only see the rt and rs. where does it fit in that lineup?
thanks

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The Sprint ST & RS are '99-up fuel injected bikes.

In 1993, Triumph put a half fairing on the Trident & called it the Trident Sprint.

In 1994, they dropped "Trident" from the name.

In 1998, they made the Sprint Sport & Sprint Executive. Sporty exhaust & forks from the Daytona or Speed Triple made a Sprint Sport, bags from a Trophy made Sprint Exec.

'99 was a ground-up redesign with the new 955 injected power plant.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Clem, I can help you identify the alternator rattle and give you a hand to fix it if it needs doing. I have torx sockets to get the alternator bolts out, I did replace them with stainless socket heads though.

I'm at Ipswich, give me a yell if you want to catch up...

Cheers,

Roden
Thanks Roden but I don't think that's my problem. The sound changes very slightly with headlights on but that's probably just a factor or the slightly-lower engine revs.

It's a long story (so tune out now if you're in a hurry) but I don't really remember what this bike is supposed to sound like. I bought it damaged and then rode it home from Sydney but I crashed at Walcha (300 miles) and hurt my back.
I got going again but then hit a kangaroo 50 miles further up the road.
I managed to limp the 250 miles home (in agony) but it was 3 months before I rebuilt the bike and was riding again and the very first time I started it the centre spark-plug dropped it's guts into the cylinder.
Just call me Passion-Fingers but I just put up with the rattle and kidded myself that all was OK but then the broken electrode tangled with a valve and it all came to a stop (4 days before I was leaving for the GP!!)
I pulled it down but when I turned the head over to look at the valves all the shims fell out and rolled around.
Also a series of huuge storms hit Brisbane (but generally clobbered you at Ipswich first!) and the whole dismantled engine got soaking wet and surface rusted. Cams, bearing surfaces, shims, cam-chain, EVERYTHING!!
I finally managed to clean it up enough and put the shims where they looked like they fitted and it's running again but it rattles like a bitch.
I hate doing valve-clearances so I think I'll take it to the shop and get that bit right before I worry too much about what else I've buggered up!
(Someone really should take this bike off me and give it to someone deserved!)
--
Clem

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Holy Crap Clem! well done for getting it running again. Defo get the valves done before you ride it too far, there might be a tight valve amongst them that could torch.

If you don't want to pay the stealer to do your valves, I have a good workshop here if you want somewhere clean and dry to work, also plenty of tools.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
69 Posts
interchangable parts?

I appreciate the info on how the executive is 'just' a trident with bags. does this mean that parts from the trident and sport are completely interchangable with the exec?
that would make finding used parts easier.
thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts