Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of you have already heard me talk about this. Some of you have even given me a hand from time to time, but I thought I'd go ahead & start a thread for it. Back in April of 2008, I bought Grace...my 2001 Triumph Sprint RS. She's done me good & I've put on about 22,000 miles since then (12,000 or so were just last year). She now has 46,000 miles & burns a little oil. Below is a picture of Grace.

In February of 2010, a friend of mine (some of you have ridden with him) bought a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST. It's one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever laid eyes on.

Unfortunately, in September of last year (less than a year after he got it), he wrecked the ST. He was fine, but she ended up beat up pretty bad. I almost cried.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I decided to buy the motorcycle back from the insurance company. Surprisingly they only wanted $700 for it. Since the bike had less than 9,000 miles on it, the engine was worth WAY more than that. Thus begins my crazy adventure. So I brought her home & named her Charity (Thanks Rick).

A month or so ago, my father came over to help with the swap. We planned on 3 days of work & it took all three days...............just to get the engine out of Charity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soon after, he decided to come over here on my birthday weekend to work on it some more. Fortunately, the second time you do anything...you are faster at it than the first time. It really only took us about a day to get the old engine removed & the new one installed.

So that's where she sits now. We'll start hooking up the wiring harness & whatnot tomorrow. Hopefully that all goes smoothly. I really want to start having projects bikes, but I'm waiting to see how this one goes before I start dumping money into a hobby that I won't be any good at.

Wiring harness & everything went together a lot easier than I thought it would. Not much left now. We'll hook up the fuel tank tomorrow & get her running, then bodywork & we're done. Here's where she sits tonight.

Hopefully she runs so we can go straight to the 12-minute tune-up & put her bodywork back on (after taking about a metric ****-ton of masking tape labels off of the wiring harness & all of the rubber tubing.

Ok...went out there this morning to put the tank on & tried to start her. Let's just say Dad & I were elated. She fired right up! She didn't run very smooth, but considering she just had a heart transplant, I wasn't expecting her to win any races.

We decided to do the 12 minute tune-up on her & by the end of it she was running much better. Very, very smooth & very, very powerful! Her first test ride reminded me why I bought her in the first place. She still puffs some black smoke when revved out, but I'm not sure if that's cleaning out the exhaust system from the old motor, running rich because the ECM still has some adjusting to do, or if she needs the ECM flashed completely anyway. My guess is a combination of the first 2 scenarios. The CEL also came on, but again...I'm not terribly surprised. The ECM has a lot of adjusting to do. It may even be a low coolant scenario. I went ahead with another 12 minute tune-up after the CEL came on just for ****s and giggles & it got up to 234 degrees (which is pretty abnormal). My guess is refilling the cooling system probably led to some bubbles & ultimately it burped itself & it may be alerting to a low coolant situation. We'll check that after we ride tomorrow (I'll be taking Trinity of course). Anyway...now she's back together & looking mighty fine with that black engine. I love this girl & hope that we get many more miles together because of Charity's organ donation & my father's help. Unless something goes terribly wrong, we're done with this engine swap. Now I can't wait to tear into her brakes & suspension!

Took Grace up to Cycle Parts Triumph here in Eugene & had Louis hook her up to the computer to try & figure out the high idle & the CEL that came on (and went out automatically after 3 heat cycles). Turns out the CEL was for a fuel pump fault. Since it went away automatically after 3 heat cycles, I'm not going to worry about it any more. I'll chalk it up to a funky electrical connection that's resolved itself. Besides...if there was a serious fuel pump problem, it wouldn't run as well as it does. If it happens again, it'll be easy enough to reseat the connection. As far as the high idle speed, Louis did some resetting in the computer and it seems to be resolved. I also found out that this particular computer doesn't support the 12-minute tune.

So that's it...job is done. I'm really pleased with how well it went.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Nice! :D

That fuel pump code is also known as the "turned it on with the tank off" code.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Louis asked me if we had done that & I didn't remember doing it. But alas, I usually can't remember what I ate for breakfast. So...it's likely we did.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Awesome! Now go for the single sided swing arm swap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Now go for the single sided swing arm swap.
You know? I have the swing arm, but I don't like the idea of it. In fact, when I was planning on turning the ST into a track bike, I planned on putting the DSSA & RS suspension on it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good job, Interesting thread. I think your pics help tell the story well too.

Cheers and enjoy your freshened ride.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Wiley - stick with the DSSA, it saves you 7 lbs of unsprung weight and is more rigid to boot. Now replacing those forkss and front brakes, there is something worth doing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wiley - stick with the DSSA, it saves you 7 lbs of unsprung weight and is more rigid to boot.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. This is exactly why I'm not a fan of the SSSA. Sure it looks cool...but looks don't do you much in performance. Just ask any Hardly rider. :Stir :laughhard

Now replacing those forkss and front brakes, there is something worth doing.
This is a possibility, but I think I'll hold off for now. I don't want to get into too much expense. If I replace the oil in the forks, it should ride like a new bike again. I'll start with that. I just have to get a front steering head stand because you have to take the damn forks off to drain the oil.

But when I get ready to replace them...do you know of any upside-down forks that'll fit on these bikes? I'd love to find out that the Speed Triple's triple tree fits on this frame so I could use the USD forks from one.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts