Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first post since returning after a long break. So gentle please :)
I've bought a 2010 face-lift Sprint ST. The bike is a stunner so I was delighted to strike a good deal.
I rode it home on Saturday in horrendous rain. All was well, it never missed a beat.
As I rode away from the guys house I noticed the clock said 1pm (it was actually 3.30pm) The bike was on trickle charge so it started just fine.
I stopped for fuel 10 miles into my ride home and noticed that when I started her up the clock went back to 1pm.
I rode the bike again today and again the clock showed 1pm on start up; I noticed that both trip meters were reset to zero too. It did this each time I stopped (3 times in all).
I have put a meter across the battery which shows 14.5v (no load). The battery was fitted 11th Jan 2017 so is only years old. The bike has hardly been used in that time.
I have checked the fuses and all are good.
All other functions are working; starting is strong and quick. The horn and all lights work fine.
The bike is totally standard apart from the owner told me that he had the Data tool alarm removed by his local. It kept going off without reason.
I never seen this before. Every time I turn the ignition off the clock and trips reset.
Anyone seen this before and know the answer?
I have searched the site and cant find an exact match so please excuse me if its out there.
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
38 Posts
When this happens to a VFR, it's because voltage is dropping too low when you crank engine due to bad earth block and frame negative connection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The VFR has an earth block where all the earth (negative) cables were joined by a connector block which then went to the frame.
I ripped out the block and soldered all the earth cables to a new thicker cable straight to battery.
This was a known issue with VFRs.
Not sure how the ST does this.
Most electrical problems, (including the charging issues in both the Triumphs and VFRs) are caused by faulty or high resistance connections.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You said it resets every time you switch the ignition off, if that's the case and you're not even starting the bike it won't be anything to do with a low battery, the instruments should have a permanent 12 vollt supply when the ignition is off, if this is missing it could be the problem.
Double check the fuses, I know you've checked them already, have you asked the previous owner if it's always had this fault, it may be a coincidence but on my bike the same fuse that supplies the instruments also goes to the alarm immobiliser plug, it won't do any harm to check the blanking plug is seated properly and all the links are secure in the plug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You said it resets every time you switch the ignition off, if that's the case and you're not even starting the bike it won't be anything to do with a low battery, the instruments should have a permanent 12 vollt supply when the ignition is off, if this is missing it could be the problem.
Double check the fuses, I know you've checked them already, have you asked the previous owner if it's always had this fault, it may be a coincidence but on my bike the same fuse that supplies the instruments also goes to the alarm immobiliser plug, it won't do any harm to check the blanking plug is seated properly and all the links are secure in the plug.
Great call. I did a fuse recheck this morning in the daylight rather than my dimly lit garage last night. Bingo one of the 10a fuses was out. I guess I am guilty of not checking properly in part because the instruments were working so maybe dismissing that option. What a plank... I had spoken to the chap I bought the bike from last night; he said it was doing the same for him; since the alarm was removed.
I love the bike; I did a 100 miles around Co Durham today on the crappy roads. She's all cleaned up and ready for more tomorrow.
Cheers again for the help from all replies (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts