Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Sprint does not exactly have the largest battery ever used in a motorcycle, but how long does it take the digital clock to run the battery down?

I have not ride my bike since last week, work gets in the way, but it does pay the motorcycle bills. Because I have never had a problem with Moto batteries in my other bikes, I am not in the habit of putting my bikes on trickle chargers.

Today I go out to ride and the engine takes a few extra revolutions before it fires up, and the battery seems to be seeker than usual.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The clock won't have much of an effect. You might have another 'leak,' or your battery might not like the summer temperatures. Or, the battery is failing.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clock won't have much of an effect. You might have another 'leak,' or your battery might not like the summer temperatures. Or, the battery is failing.
The battery is new, so unless it is defective...

·
Registered
44 Posts
down here in OZ in Canberra winters the batteries only last about 2 years even with a trickle on 24/7

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
These bikes notorious for regulator failure. Pls advise voltage at battery at 3k revs

The 955's aren't as prone to R/R failure as the 1050's. Still, it happens. Anyhow, the battery is apparently losing its charge while the bike is parked. If the electrical system has been modified in any way, make sure there isn't a circuit still energized when the keyswitch is turned off.

Of course, be really sure you don't leave the bike with the keyswitch turned fully counterclockwise. That's the 'parking lamp/kill my battery' position.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 955's aren't as prone to R/R failure as the 1050's. Still, it happens. Anyhow, the battery is apparently losing its charge while the bike is parked. If the electrical system has been modified in any way, make sure there isn't a circuit still energized when the keyswitch is turned off.

Of course, be really sure you don't leave the bike with the keyswitch turned fully counterclockwise. That's the 'parking lamp/kill my battery' position.
The bike is stock, so no added electrical accessories. It was fine today. Started up and ran a couple of errands and it started strong, each time.

We checked the regulator output before and after the new battery was installed, and it was as it should be. So it seems everything is fine.

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
Ensure terminals are tight and earth is properly connected.

And I concur with Spades 2 -3 yrs is what you normally get from most batteries, but there are exceptions :smile2:

Cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
209 Posts
I used to have a similar problem with my bike. Then I started hitting the kill switch and leaving it in that position when I parked the bike. Now charge seems to last forever...but I also switched to a Lithium Iron battery a few years back. So that might have affected things a bit as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts