Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Having started to sort my valve clearances I noticed some damage to the camshafts (see pics)
Have you guys any experience of having cams refurbished or is replacement a better option?
There are used cams listed on eBay but I guess that’s always a bit of a lottery. Would welcome your views & opinions.

Stu

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Stu, Used cams from Ebay can be a good bargain. Both of my bikes are Ebay Frankensteins, built from dead parts. Green cams from a Trophy are good. Red cams from a Daytona might need the ECU and high compression pistons to make the Daytona power. The brown cams from the Adventurer give a little more grunt at lower rpm's, but loose a little at the higher rpm's. Most Ebay sellers show good pictures and most will return the money if something is wrong with their product.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg,
Followed your advice and have sourced a good used pair (Daytona Green Cams) from eBay 👍🏻

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Stu, Green cams are Trophy cams. Serious power comes on around 5 grand. Red are Daytona. Serious power comes on around 7 grand. Green cams are an excellent choice.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Red were only fitted to the Super3. Green..Trident,Sprint,Trophy,and std Daytona. Stick with Green. Nicer power delivery. I've just fitted a Sprint head to my Super3. The Red cams give a bit more higher up the rev s. There's not a massive difference. I'll be surprised if you can source Red cams anyway,unless new?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine are green which is what I was after.... spent lots of time on eBay looking at T300 camshafts. It looks like Triumph used the same cams in the later 955 bikes... not entirely sure but they do look very similar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stu: how many miles on your bike? That kind of wear is unusual, areas of peak loading. I'd have put it down to poor quality oil. The bearing surfaces look mint though.

First gen 955 (T5) cams are very similar to T3 red profile but they are their own thing, with less duration but more lift. Yellow cams!

Green is a great choice for all round use and probably for that reason the most often factory fitted across the T3 range.

Blue (Tiger, adventurer, Thunderbird, late Trophy 1200 fours) better fuel economy and low down running.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi LeT,
Don’t know the bike’s mileage... the speedo had 31000 miles on it but the previous owner said it was from another bike. It had been stood for 12 years, so potentially a low mileage bike. Have put new (second hand eBay) green camshafts in it now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts