Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help with what I should do regarding a replacement mid pipe for my 07 sprint. The original mid pipe has corroded through the ‘finger’ flanges at the bottom joint and began to blow. When stripping it down, the finger flange just crumbled away, leaving me with no option but to buy a new pipe. Ah well I thought.. I’ll have a look on line.. all suppliers shown as discontinued or obsolete!
Not to be deterred I contacted my local dealer (who have been great). They spoke to Triumph directly and they agreed to produce a small batch and I could have one! Great... except for the 3 month wait! The day arrived but the pipe I received looked as if it was made in a shed in the dark. My original was polished and superbly finished. This was so poor I thought it was a mistake. Poor welding, still bearing the blue engineer pen marks for the weld point, poor welding on the flange seams, and a ’brushed ‘ finish that looks like it was done by a monkey.
The dealer agrees that it’s not the quality it should be. And tries to resolve it. Triumph send him 2 more, both the same. Triumph them tell the dealer it’s considered to be a C finish and because it’s not seen the finish is not important! An A finish is one that is seen. They ended up with a take it or leave it from a Triumph, and advised me to contact them direct.
I get the same answer from them saying they have the right to change specification without notice. I’m not happy as the mid pipe is very visible on the bike and the awful finish will just attract dirt and just look awful. I have asked them just to send one off to be polished and cleaned... I await their reply.
Anyone else with a similar problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an original OEM exhaust system for a my 2006 ST. Is thqt what you are looking for?
Hi Chaz,
thank so much. I am looking for the mid pipe.. the section between the headers and the silencer (not sure what the American is for that?)
I am still fighting with Triumph in the hope that they will provide an exhaust that is of sufficient and acceptable quality.
But I will get back to you if I get stuck!
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the muffler that goes between the 3 pipe section in the rear and that connects to the chrome pipe. The under the seat section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, the part I need is the exhaust section that runs vertically connecting the headers and the silencer which is under the seat. It’s the only exposed part of the system and is polished stainless with a heat shield cover fitted...
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can either pick a good used one from ebay and polish it up or polish up the one they have sent you.

I know the originals polish up like new very easily. Just search for this on eBay
‘triumph sprint st 1050 exhaust link pipe”

Ifyou have a mains powered drill you can pick up a polishing kit for next to nothing - not a big job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks. They all corrode at the bottom joint, so all the ones on ebay (for the last 5 months anyway) have been rotten or bent.
i got an answer from Triumph this morning and they are going to polish one for me, it should have been polished in the first place!
However I know there will be others looking for a replacement who will be faced with the same very poor quality part, hopefully they will find this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess I was lucky - I just bought a brand new link pipe and silencer off eBay taken from a bike when new when the owner fitted an aftermarket exhaust. Mine hasn’t started blowing yet but I know it will so I thought I would buy one while I still could.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts