Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak on the left side of my engine. My ride is an '06 Sprint ST 1050.

I have searched the forum...saw the post about the stator cover...but this leak is up above that.

Took it by the dealer here in Little Rock. They seem to think it is just the valve cover. Said they have not seen 1050's leak oil much.

The bike runs fine otherwise. Probably a simple fix...and my brother has already joked about it now being a 'real' Triumph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an oil leak on the left side apparently from the valve cover... dealer replaced the valve cover seal under warranty and no further problems.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I had an oil leak on the left side apparently from the valve cover... dealer replaced the valve cover seal under warranty and no further problems.

+1 here too. Mine was the left side within 6 months of purchase...replaced v/c gasket...no issues. When they are doing that though..I would have them torque the stator and clutch covers..they do due to tend to leak from those nuts getting loose.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Valve covers are one of the few gaskets on the 1050 that requires gasket sealant. Do not apply it to the entire gasket; just on the four half moon rubber plugs on each outboard side.

When checking torque on the engine cover fasteners, loosen them first and then re-torque them. Checking torque without first loosening them will cause an over torque condition which could easily lead to stripped threads.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Valve covers are one of the few gaskets on the 1050 that requires gasket sealant. Do not use it on the entire gasket; just on the four half moon rubber plugs on each outboard side.
+1. Did just as the Oldnwise one suggested above when I did my valve clearances several months ago, no leaks since.:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. It is the valve cover. Should be no big issue. I did log a little over 600 miles this weekend on my Sprint without issue. Have it scheduled to be repaired next week.

Here is a New Years pic from...Oil Trough, Arkansas of all places. It is a small town in Northeast Arkansas I go through on the way to my parent's home in Leachville Arkansas.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Valve Cover Update

Today...on the coldest day yet for Little Rock (low 20's for the high), I took my ride down to the Triumph dealership and had them look at the oil leak. Seems that the bolts holding the valve cover on were loose enough to be turned by hand...:( What is it with these Triumphs and loose bolts? My ride only has 8k miles and though ridden fast, she is not abused and used every day since she is my only transportation.

Maybe they have Guiness Fridays at the Triumph Factory?
Maybe there is a disgruntled worker practicing slow sabatoge?
Maybe they are in cahoots with the Mobile-1 folks...a thousand small oil leaks of fully synthetic can really add up to some moolah!

Eh, regardless, I am glad it was a simple problem. They tightened the bolts back to spec. Put around 30 miles on her after the repair and it seems to have fixed the oil leak.

Loose bolts...guess it will give me a reason to use my new tools.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am beginning to wonder if Triumphs are like Ducatis...they are bikes you have to pay attention too.
You just can't go off and ignore them.
Kinda like a very pretty but high-maintainence girlfriend who is kinda demanding of your time and resources. You know she loves you, but you still want to ring her neck sometimes.
Motorcycles and women.
You ever have a girlfriend get jealous of you riding? I have and it is so funny to see a women get jealous of a machine...and I mean green-eyed deep jealousy too.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
It's called character ..At least they are much better than they used to be (speaking from personal experience - 1973 T150V)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts