Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying a Tiger 1050 but they are very expensive over here in Ireland. However I spotted a 2009 Sprint 1050 and had a test run. The owner told me it has a strange noise and he described it as a bit like a lolly-stick in your bicycle spokes when you were a kid:rolleyes:. Anyway, i took a ride on it and absolutly loved the power delivery, brakes and handling. I found the riding position a little too prone and it put some wight on my wrists which i don't like. I suppose after the TDM I currently ride it wil be a different experience completly. However the one thing that worried me is this noise... The only way i can describe it is when you decelerate and allow the bike to slow down, but don't change down gears and the bike is really in too tall a gear for the speed. Then just accelerate away again, the bike can pull away okay but is under a little strain, no problem for a 1050 triple though. It then makes a rattling sound, which is definitly mechanical and from the engine, this is not pinking, it actually had a mechnical rattle. I thought it sounded as if the fairing had a rattle that was kicking off at that particular frequency but I am sure it's engine related.
Is this sound common to sprints or triumph triples in general? Is this anything to be worried about if i buy the bike?
Any info apprciated as i really want to decide what to do about this bike.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
..... hmmmm sounds can be difficult to describe - mine whistles, whines, and cackles a bit but nothing unpleasant like you describe.

It would pay to have it checked if you're thinking of buying. Any chance of taking a different 1050 for a ride as a comparison?

This is the best soundtrack I could find from a quick look on youtube

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
From what you're describing it sounds like good old fashioned "pinging".

Its often described as sounding as if theres marbles running around in your engine.

My bike has done it under very hard acceleration in the lower gears.

How long since its had a tune up?

Is it running the right fuel?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Iceman.
Sadly Sprints are few and far-between around here. I had to travel a few hours to see this one. But from what you are saying this is not a typical sound. It is a very audible clicking when pulling a high gear from low revs. The clip you kindly sent is all 'spirted riding' and I is not low revs. Another thing is the bike is selling below what I value it at so I think I smell a rat with this one..
I'll keep checking around.
Thanks!
APW

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beach - I would say the fuel is okay as the owner says this is happening for a long time, since he bought it. The bike has 10kmiles up. This sounds like it is something flapping around but it is engine related.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a chain?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
+1:)

The bike only has 10,000 miles on it. That is wayyyyyy too early for strange engine noises!!!!
Me thinks its something simple too!

You might want to carefully look at the tires. If they are originals, they should be completely shot at 10K.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1:)

The bike only has 10,000 miles on it. That is wayyyyyy too early for strange engine noises!!!!
Me thinks its something simple too!

You might want to carefully look at the tires. If they are originals, they should be completely shot at 10K.
I suppose this is the problem with noises, it is very hard to describe.

The back tyre was totally worn and the front 90%. The back I recall is a BT, possibly a BT021 - is that the original type of tyre?
It was not a cam-chain, I would know that rattlel (as I own a TDM!). It was like a loud clicking. Once the revs picked up it immediatly disappeared. I would know pinking as well and it was more mechanical than a firing problem.
It definetly looks like a bike with very low milage, not a single scratch, still had the stickers on the tank with the run-in period info, everything looked genuine apart from the noise.
The owner told me he had it in with a mechanic and it all checked out fine.
Any other ideas guys?
THANKS!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Besides the tires, you could re-torque the rear wheel/ axle nut.
I would first remove the rear wheel and check the axle drive plate and studs for debris prior to torquing the axle nut.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
High gear...........low revs, maximum strain on motah...my bet is slight 'pinking/pinging'............mine does it occasionally, very low revs, high gear..............but I know mine runs slightly lean......which doesn't help with high engine load 'pinking'...........

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine definitely has cam chain noise at lower rpm's. Also, this engine can be pretty noisy when it gets lugged around.
A dry chain will click, as will a worn front sprocket.

One more thing to check, when I got mine, it did not have a bumper on the center stand stop. This also caused some rather loud clicking noise when loading up the drive train.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Low RPM, high gear acceleration...I'm going with pinging. Put some 93 octane in it, and it'll stop.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

Cheers,
-Kit
I initially thought that, but the rest of the description makes me think otherwise.

Having said that, eliminating the chain as a problem would be a good move.

Having said that, it sounds like you could be buying someone elses problems, so probably best to move on, unless the owner wants to give it away.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Camchains worn/lazy tensioner don't usually rattle under load.....moreso the opposite engine 'coasting down'under no load, then they usually 'flutter/rattle' like hell!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
To be clear, I'm talking about the drive chain. Like maybe it has a bit too much slack in it.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Small rodents inside the airbox?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts