Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, my new to me 2006 sprint 1050 has got a bit of a miss. It's most noticeable around 3500-4000 rpm but pretty much does it anywhere below that to some degree. Also most noticeable at steady throttle. Acceleration feels fine and cruising at highway speeds I can't feel it missing anymore. Also seems to be at it's worst once the engine is good and hot. The first few minutes of riding in the morning don't seem to be as bad.
I've started with the obvious and replaced the spark plugs but this issue is still here.
My next move would be to start testing or swapping out coils but since these aren't cheap (130.00 each) I am wondering where else I should look or try to make sure I NEED to look at the coils.

Any thoughts from fellow sprint owners out there?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing i did when i bought the bike a couple of months ago. I should have mentioned that :)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
We don't have a lot of coil problems with the injected bikes, but if I heard someone with a T3-series Sprint describe those symptoms I would say coils immediately.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
234 Posts
My bike has just started exhibiting the exact same symptoms recently. In fact I just got home from buying new spark plugs when I saw your post, ha. :)

I find the slight roughness is still there at higher RPMs, just less pronounced due to the higher frequency I guess. Worst/most noticeable between 3500-5500.

I just did my 30k service a couple weeks ago and the plugs looked normal, but I figured it's a cheap first try at fixing the issue. I'm going to install the new plugs this weekend and see where that gets me...Hoping it's not a harbinger of something nasty.

Anyone have other suggestions for possible culprits? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
any recent rain storms? I had a misfire that was hard to trace. It turned out to be the coil in #1 and I could see evidence of water in that plug well. Did you see anything when replacing the plugs? When I disassembled the coil boot the sleeve was wet and the shield was rusted. I did replace the coil even though it tested ok and problem was gone. I got a set of used coils from an 08 with the newer style top seals on ebay for $30

·
Registered
234 Posts
any recent rain storms? I had a misfire that was hard to trace. It turned out to be the coil in #1 and I could see evidence of water in that plug well. Did you see anything when replacing the plugs? When I disassembled the coil boot the sleeve was wet and the shield was rusted. I did replace the coil even though it tested ok and problem was gone. I got a set of used coils from an 08 with the newer style top seals on ebay for $30
Interesting, we haven't had rain in months here (just starting to enter the rainy season now) but maybe some water got in there from washing the bike, or I somehow borked a coil when reinstalling them after checking the plugs during the 30k service. I'll take a good look at them for sure, thx!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Mine acted up like that last summer. I changed the plugs too. From what I can remember one of the plugs was covered with a layer of soot where the other 2 were pretty much clean.

I was going to keep an eye on it and if it started acting up again I was going to start playing musical coils to figure out which one was acting up. But it never did it again. Think maybe a plug had been dropped (not by me) and cracked it. IDK.

The problem with my bike seemed familiar to a problem I had with my truck few years ago. It started running rough at low throttle openings but clear up and run fine with more gas. Warranty replaced 2 coils and plugs and cleared up the miss.

Just to add to the possible cause. My TT did the same thing too. But it ended up being water got past the seal on the 1st coil and was shorting out.

Hope you can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Oh, yes, everybody who hasn't done so should replace their seals with the newer type; Triumph part number T1291511. Not sure what year they came with, maybe '08 and newer? Also not sure if they fit '99-'01 bikes.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, swapped out the spark plugs today, but still have the weird vibe going on in the engine...all the coils & plugs looked fine, no evidence of water anywhere it shouldn't be, didn't see any hoses or vacuum lines loose.

The investigation will continue...

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Throttle bodies need balancing?
I had a vibration that could be thought of as a miss, this was cleared up with the service.

Sent from my iPhone;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts