Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone and happy new year,

Just curious to see if anyone has been able to remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust headers on a 1050 sprint?

If so was there any dramas with the o2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Here's how to tell:

First, a reference photo of a 1050 header:

It's always a good idea to cary a spare... :)

Now a crop showing the outlet tube from the collector:

See the weld spot approx 1cm behind the collector outlet?
You will see another before the bend if you follow the tube back along that line.
There are two similar welds 180 degrees across the tube.

Those four welds suspend the precat tube in the center of the outlet tube via four ~5mm stainless steel pins. If you don't have these welds, you don't have a precat ('05/'06 anyway, newer bikes may locate a larger precat a bit farther downstream).

The precat tube is about 1cm smaller O.D. than the exit tube I.D. You can guage the precat length from the weld locations.
If one were to theoretically drill out these four pins, one may then discover that the floating precat tube is too long and rigid to exit the outlet tube bend. One may then have to grind down the outlet to collector weld and remove the outlet tube to free the precat. One would then likely have to find a stainless capable welder for reassembly and then hope the alignment is close enough for reassembly.

Once all of this was done, one may discover that:
A) The precat flows freely and little (more likely no) power is gained.
B) Most of the seat heating is due to the large efficient cat in the muffler.
C) No significant difference in sound (see A)
D) One may not care for the stench he is subjecting his fellow man to.
Due to A through D one may declare the experiment a failure and replumb to
OEM configuration.

This is all theoretical of course and I am running full plumbing.

The adjustment that I *have* found worthwhile is progressively increasing ignition timing below 10% throttle. Triumph pulls timing in that area to provide a benign throttle response. As a consequence, efficiency suffers in town and the cats runs hot because (drum roll please) that's where a significant portion of the fuel is being burned.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
It would be nice to know what year of 1050 we are dealing with. o5/06 are as CLB described with excellent photo's but the 07/08 use a larger precat that looks like a Heineken can just up and behind the right foot peg. As long as the O2 sensor is upstream you will probably be ok but in the end a healthy precat does little to restrict flow and as CLB stated really doesn't give you any gains.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Spare Headers essential travelling equipment

CLB,

You just never know when you need a spare set of headers, I for one keep a set in my sportpac along with my leatherman and pocket knife and duct tape.

"Be prepared and all that" eh wot!:D

Excellent photo's CLB, but I have come to expect no less from you:)

DaveM

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dave,

I picked it up used.
They're better than coffee table books as conversation starters.
...Possibly a futuristic shower head for the master bath...

Your friend and mine,
CLB

That wasn't OT, was it?

CLB,

You just never know when you need a spare set of headers, I for one keep a set in my sportpac along with my leatherman and pocket knife and duct tape.

"Be prepared and all that" eh wot!:D

Excellent photo's CLB, but I have come to expect no less from you:)

DaveM

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
ooh nice

Dave,

I picked it up used.
They're better than coffee table books as conversation starters.
...Possibly a futuristic shower head for the master bath...

Your friend and mine,
CLB

That wasn't OT, was it?
Mmmm futuristic shower head wot a top idea mate!:eek:

OT what ever are you on about man, bloody marvelous idea that.
Mr Bloors boffins prolly planned for that use when they designed em, cunning crafty lot those pommy bu99ers!:D

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the input fellas. I am changing the exhaust on my bike, probably to the wolf system, and didn't know if that was a mod that anyone had done?

·
Registered
93 Posts
CLB,
How much advance are you adding?

There have been some threads on TheSpeedTriple.com concerning removal of the pre-cat along with matching the header spigots to the exhaust ports. Do note that the S3 header is shaped differntly than the Sprint header and does not require cutting for pre-cat removal. There is some good tuning info available on that site also.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
With some reservations explained at the bottom of my post...

I didn't add a fixed value.

All of the "in gear, clutch engaged" maps (I1, I2, Ign(TP)) are loaded with these values. I am not varying timing as the engine heats up.

The single "neutral/disengaged" map is loaded as follows.

The lower values in this map allow revs to drop during shifts as well as improving idle stability.

My configuration is stock fully emission plumbed '07. For that reason I don't expect this will be directly useful to most board members. You can do your own comparison to 20113 if you wish. The advance in any given cell will vary between zero or even slightly negative and astronomical.

The fuel maps are relatively unchanged. I added a little to a narrow range just above freeway cruise to improve roll-on response.

The improvements over 20113 are:
Better response/more torque off idle.
Much improved mileage in stop & go surface street use.
Cooler exhaust.
The downside if any:
More sensitive off-idle throttle response.

This tune has evolved over some number of months. Every now and then I notice something and make a minor tweak. I am pretty happy with the results but...

I understand and accept the risks associated with this sort of activity. You should as well.
Translated... Don't come crying to me if you tweak your tune and blow something up.

CLB,
How much advance are you adding?

There have been some threads on TheSpeedTriple.com concerning removal of the pre-cat along with matching the header spigots to the exhaust ports. Do note that the S3 header is shaped differntly than the Sprint header and does not require cutting for pre-cat removal. There is some good tuning info available on that site also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CLB,
Thanks for sharing that information. Your 3D graphs look really smooth compared to mine.
I'll have to try adding in a little more advance on the bottom.
I find it interesting that the modified 020106 S3 tune I'm using has three ignition maps and yours has four...

·
Registered
446 Posts
G'day Twisted,

There is No Catalytic Converter installed on the 1050 Sprints in Australia... but the SAI is installed...

Cheers, G:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts