Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have this bike from august 2008. I put some km in it (almost 50000).
But at the last oil change on Thursday, i saw that the bolt from the rear link has snap.

Unfortunately in my country (Romania) i don't have a dealer so i try to find help in Germany or Hungary. Without any luck. So, i contact Mark (rexxypup), which i am truly grateful for, because he help me on every occasion and I am in his debt and I hope I can somehow repay him for
the kind assistance with all the matters.

I attach some picture (please excuse the quality i only had the mobile phone camera)

Now i wait to see if i can solve this problem with the help of Triumph because its a recall issue or with some money invested in new drag link.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E 500
2,047 Posts
raptorryus,

Yes, your drag link is the old style that was covered by recall.

Here is a photo of the new drag link that was fitted to my '06 Sprint under recall. I think the bolts and sleeves were also replaced under an earlier recall before I owned the bike. The recall is free but since you don't have a local dealer that may be difficult. Maybe Triumph will send parts for you to install yourself.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I'm thinking he is going to have a problem getting the needed support from Triumph since the recall involves an inspection to determine if additional parts are needed, and the fact that they require a Trained Triumph tech to perform the work.

But, in known instances, Triumph has stepped up to the plate and supported other owners in unusual circumstances. Hopefully, they will do it again this time. From an untrained perspective, I have to believe that they have a legal requirement if they are authorized to sell even one bike in Romania.

Having examined several batches of removed drag link parts, and considering the condition of these particular ones, I am surprised that the long spacer is not exhibiting cracks.

Wishing you good luck, raptorryus. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spacer in the second picture its from front . What its left from the rear spacer and bearing pins its in the first picture.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Friday I receive the package from Triumph. I attach a picture with link, bolts and other stuff. The package was sent via dhl. The guys from Triumph was very helpful with info and time solving oriented. I didn't have to pay for the parts and shipping, and I was allowed to install the parts myself.

After 2 hours I put all the parts together , and I were to a ride. Top speed 273.5 km/h on the clock. I verified again the bolts and I was very pleased. After 3 weeks I am riding again. In 3 weeks I will be in a trip to Slovenia .

I would like to thank to Mark (rexxypup from triumphrat) and to Mark Jarvis from Triumph for all the help they gave me.

I am very pleased with this customer experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
:) Sometimes the good guy wins one. Glad your back on the road raptorryus.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
To give Triumph their due, they were very helpful in the face of what could have been quite a dangerous situation liability wise.

When I first contacted them for Ovi, they weren't keen in sending the part out due to the liability of having a non-Triumph person fit a recall part as OnD alludes to, however, they did offer assistance in getting the bike to the nearest dealer until we (all the brits in the conversation at least) worked out that Ovi's nearest dealer was several hundred miles, and a whole country away.

They still wanted to help and when I offered the option of supplying the part and having Ovi sign a disclaimer they were very positive about it.

After Triumph checked this through with their legal beagles, the final agreement was that Ovi was to sign and return a disclaimer and they would ship the part out (they gave the part free and paid for DHL shipping) allow Ovi to fit the part but not remove the bike from the recall register for this item. That way, should Ovi sell the bike, he could inform the new buyer of the retrofit and the option (should the new owner be nearer a dealer) to still have it done under warranty at no cost.

So a good result, but what really impressed me was the willingness Triumph showed to try and sort the situation and the effort they made to keep all parties informed, especially as at one point they were getting communications from both Ovi and I at the same time.

A really nice parting touch was to offer a tour of the factory any time I was up that way on a Friday.

I know there are horror stories on these forums of some After sales handling, but I feel this experience was exemplary and they should be congratulated for it and gain all the publicity it deserves. Having worked for a time in a call centre I realise it is too easy to get sucked into all the problems highlighted in this forum and forget that there are (more often than not) good results.

So hats off to Triumph for this one and long may Ovi thrash the nuts off his bike. You are more than welcome to drop in and stop over if you come this far west Ovi. Have to confess I am tempted to head in your direction one year to take in Brno and then ride Ceausescu's folly, better known as Transfagarasan Highway (45°36'31.93" N 24°36'54.42" E)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hello all. Different Country, Australia, but I have had excellent service from Triumph. My Sprint is an 06 and has had the drag link fix, all ok there. The front discs developed the dreaded pulsing, many theories advanced as to what the reason was. Under hard work (a track day) the shuddering and shaking was horrendous but as the day wore on so did the discs and they nearly fixed themselves. I previously had taken good care with caliper and pad cleaning and inspections and made sure the disc bobbin thingys were loose, even tried a mild steel wool buff over the discs. So they nearly fixed themselves with hard braking, but then within 1000 km of road riding the shuddering was back (now over 40,000km). Had scheduled service done and on return it had new discs, problem fixed. The dealer, Wimmera Motorcycle Co, used his influence, the Aussie distributors balked, but he pressed UK and the job was done. I didn't expect that outcome but from that experience and the experience in this thread I think Triumph certainly shows an honest link with their client base. Obviously there will be situations where the dealer might not be that sharp or even interested and your experience might be less than mine.

I am a happy Triumph convert (06 Sprint and an 08 Thrux). Having a Triumph demo ride day thing here this coming weekend where some of the Aussie head office are coming to, will be good.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
To add to the warm fuzzies with down under Triumph

I had a leaking Triumph CF can which I had on the bike my "04 Sprint ST (just recently traded on GT).

On my second or third service the service dept manager at my dealer asked how my can was and if it was leaking, which it was...............they then put in a claim to Triumph and I had the option of another CF or the SS can to be fitted FOC by the dealer under warranty.
I said I wanted to see it and hear one before I decided, so they had a guy with an SS can let me have a listen and look see and I went with the SS.

Then a few months later (about 18 from memory) my speedo went to lunch, this turned out to be the sender unit which cost $405 AUD just for the part!:eek:

Once again Triumph replaced the part with new FOC under warranty.

Nothing really much after that ever went wrong with the bike which had 73,000kms on her when I traded.

So my experience has been a good one with excellent after sales service.

DaveM:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too have always had excellent service from Triumph. Hence why I returned to them to buy my second bike!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts