Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've owned a 1999 Speed Triple for about 4 years now and have finally decided to start playing with the suspension. I've started by looking at the settings in the manual, i.e: "soft: 4 turns out, standard: 3 turns out, firm: 2 turns out" etc...
Now, it says that the number of turns out are from the fully screwed in position. My question is: for the spring preload adjuster (on the front suspension), what is the fully screwed in position?
I've tried just screwing it in all the way, but it keeps going until there isn't enough left exposed to grip with a spanner, so I figured that I was probably doing something wrong....?
Do you start screwing out from the first ring or something?
(apologies if this is really stupid or has been discussed before...)

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
Welcome to TriumphRat.net!

If you could take a moment to revisit your UserCP and fill in your location & bike model in your profile, those will be listed in the left margin under your screen-name - helps you to be identified accordingly.

For preload, you shouldn't set this to a 'general' setting but specific to your own weight.

See here - scroll on down to setting sag (which is what you do with the preload adjuster) to begin with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts