Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was thinking about spray painting the metallic engine covers of my thruxton R (pic below)

Is this a good idea? I’d rather not spend lots of money on something I might be able to do myself.
I’m not a professional spray painter in any way, but have some experience.

Which products should I use? Is there a step-by-step guide online I can read/follow?
Should I remove the covers before painting or is masking good enough?

Open for all ideas and suggestions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
PJ1 Satin Engine Paint. Smells like hell when the bike is warmed up the first time after painting, but good stuff. Very forgiving... Almost impossible to get runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remove the casings and have them powder coated or take them to a body shop and have them sprayed with two pack paint for a more durable finish . Don't worry about heat proof paint its not needed if your engine got that hot it would be the least of your problems .

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
761 Posts
Just curious BartVS if u decided what to do with your covers? I am great with a rattle can and have done covers, heel plates, swing arms and other various bike parts over the years of customizing bikes, I use 2 different high heat engine spray paint products. It works great very durable but u can’t put a clear coat on it to give it that extra layer of protection it ends up emulsifying the paint for some reason. So the paint coat can b subjected to scratches and and u would have to b careful when it comes to cleaning those parts that have been rattled can sprayed if, if u use the wrong cleaning product It will smear and ruin the paint coating.
As far as using a rattle can to spray the covers on my TTR like I have done on my other bikes it wasn’t going to happen, after spending a lot of cash for a high end bike like the TTR i want to keep the quality of products and finish to higher standards. To me my TTR is a high end supermodel bike which means High Maintenance and high end products, just like my wife...lol. So I decided when I got TTR I made promises to myself that what ever mods or parts I do to the bike they had to b solid quality and craftsmanship compared to my own.
So that’s why I decided to have my TTR sprocket cover and heel plates professionally powder coated This time around. i had them done in a Semi-gloss black, top quality coating and it only cost me $60. For all 3 parts, what a deal compared to the cost of a o.e.m. Matt Black cover that would cost over a $100. Alone.
so these r just my personal feelings after years of customizing bikes and using a rattle can, hope this helps....FTG
P.s. heres some pics of my rattle can work I did on my last custom bike and pics of my powder coated TTR sprocket cover and heel plates...

·
Administrator
3,119 Posts
Rust-Oleum is a fantastic paint product. I have used it on many bike parts including side cases. If you glass bead the item before spraying it lays on a beautiful smooth finish that nearly is as nice as powder coating. I have not used the high temp and had great results on side cases.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
761 Posts
Heres before and after pics of a swingarm I rattled canned with chrome. Chrome spray is real tricky because it can run easy if u are not paying attention. I think it came out great.....FTG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts