Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every time I seem BlueJ's I say I want to black out my stuff too (kudo dude on a nice bike). Well went out and bought some paint yesterday and had at it. Funny thing when reinstalling the headlight bucket... remember which plugs go where... it wont start if not correct. Here's how they came out... and I know I will have to get powder-coated, but for a temp thing not thinking not to bad.
Edit: Oh I should probably say what was painted, the handlebars and headlight bucket.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
2 Thumbs up all the way!

That is so F'in nice! Fagettaboutit! I love the fact that you left the headlight ring Chrome. That is exactly what I'm going to do. The handlebars look so nice I can't stand looking at your pictures! Please tell us what paint you used, how you prepped and any other vital information that will keep us from posting a "I screwed up" Thread! :)

Dam that is nice!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx HFG, i used http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=95 . It is for industrial apps, so i figured that it would hold up the the bug gattling gun that gets you once in a while. Its a little tacky, and I suggest to let dry for about an hour even though it says "fast drying". I used two coats, and 320g sanding after the first. Dont paint all the way from tip to tip, as it my cause the throttle to stick. Unscrew the left side light/blinker controls completely, so you are not scratching the paint as you slid it on. The right side goes on first, and slowly so not to go past the point you want. As far as the bucket... DON'T try to paint while on the bike... I found out the hard way that it is not a good idea, and will take you twice as long fixing you dinks and scratches. Take your time is number one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
thanks!

Your bike looks sweet, too! I left my headlight trim ring chrome also - gives a pretty cool touch. And, I was worried about those connectors inside the headlight bucket for a little while (someone posted a pic of the inside of that thing a few months back and said it looked like a Radio Shack store puked in there). BUT, it turns out that there's no way to screw it up without using excessive force - each of those connectors only has one mate that fits. Just make sure there are no loose ends when you're done!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Litttle Known Facts!

Your bike looks sweet, too! I left my headlight trim ring chrome also - gives a pretty cool touch. And, I was worried about those connectors inside the headlight bucket for a little while (someone posted a pic of the inside of that thing a few months back and said it looked like a Radio Shack store puked in there). BUT, it turns out that there's no way to screw it up without using excessive force - each of those connectors only has one mate that fits. Just make sure there are no loose ends when you're done!!
Ya see - that's why I keep coming back! I didn't know this BlueJ until you just said that it - it is square peg in square hole / round peg in round hole. Now I am not so apprehensive to start taking the bucket apart! Thx my man - :)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Armed with my new BlueJ Knowledge!

Ya see - that's why I keep coming back! I didn't know this BlueJ until you just said that it - it is square peg in square hole / round peg in round hole. Now I am not so apprehensive to start taking the bucket apart! Thx my man - :)
I got my new tail light and blinkers over the weekend and after dinner last night, when the wife retreated to the bedroom to watch her soap operas or whatever they do – I set out to the garage with my “secret mod box” to install them with my new bobbed rear fender. I got the seat off and low and behold the 4 bolts that hold the fender on are torque star bolts so I have to cruise up to my parent’s house tonight after work, where I keep my main tool chest, and retrieve them. I did install the front blinkers last night. I got to tell you, I’m kinda proud because I’m not an electrical genius but, "armed with my new BlueJ Knowledge", I did take apart both turn signals opened up the headlight and pulled all the wiring out so I could work and started disconnecting and pulling the old blinker wires out through the housing and routing and plugging in the new blinkers into the harness and then buttoning it all back up and then tested. Here is the part where you’re supposed to hear that I was either the King of my electrical system or I totally gooned it all up and short circuited it!

I buttoned everything back up carefully and turned the key on and the front headlight went on so, thinking I’m good now, I went to try the blinkers. I pushed to the left and low and behold all 4 blinkers starting blinking simultaneously in warning fashion. I now thought I would yield to someone who knew more than me and quit while I was ahead without damage. That thought evaporated inside of 30 seconds. I turned the key back off and re-opened the headlight and pulled the right blinker connections off and switched them around. I then turned the key back on to test before closing it back up and the right blinker (front & back) now worked perfectly. I thought well maybe it is some kind of cross-wired circuit, so I tried the left blinker and nothing happened except a buzzer buzzing so I quickly turned it off. I went to the left blinker connections and swapped them around and turned the key back on and Guess what? They all work perfectly now! I know that this isn't a big deal to most of the REAL wrenches here - but I was dam proud of myself for doing it myself, running into issues, thinking them through and then actually fixing them correctly. I’m off to my primary toolbox after work to retrieve my Torque Sockets and finish the job tonight.

It is almost time to post Phase 3 pictures! :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I like that! Especially the headlight, makes the bike look more "70"ish. I might go with a Powder coat job on mine. But then I would have to dump my flyscreen to enjoy it!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, and good on you Hedge! But more I go and look at the results of this paint, the more I think it will last pretty good. I used to be in landscaping and all of our machines took a beating, but all had this type of paint. They lasted pretty long, and my Bonnie will NEVER see conditions like those. Now powder coating would be the best for sure, but having a hard time locating one around my parts... so just rationalizing. Plus if you try the paint, it will only take some remover to get it back to stock.
BlueJ, once again beer took the better part of me when i did it, and the black and white plugs will go into each other... trust me. Funny thing is, the bike still powers up, but doesn't fire... and all but 2 lights worked. I don't know what I crossed, but was an easy fix. Hedge, if your sober and have half a brain you'd be fine... wait did I just call myself dumb... ahh well fits the bill. :D Mondo

·
Registered
244 Posts
NOS - Powdercoating & Today's Mods: corbin scrambler, fenders, lights

Mondo, your bike looks great. Might have to try he spraypaint on headlight whatever you call it (pot?) anyway... there's a mod shop on route 11B, just outside of Potsdam, east. He does powdercoating, nice guy. if you're interested, I'll find the name for ya, have his card around here somewhere.

Have been away from the rat for a while, busy putting miles on my bike while the weather is so nice. Got my smuggler finally yesterday, it didn't come with any kind of bracket to mount it to the bike, so a wonderful thunderbird sport riding friend of mine and mechanic at Alcoa in Massena made me some. Spent the entire day moding. removed rear fender and did a blinker repositioning near shocks (bullet lights) love 'em! Same on front but didnt have the repositioning kit; theyre supposed to go down low, under the headlight; attach behind the "finned thing" that is always filled with dead bees! So I put them in the same spot as the stock blinkers. On the left side the back edge of the blinker is very close to the ignition switch and was actually preventing the key from turning to the off position. No big deal, just cut one edge of the key away (part covered in rubber) and voila, works fine. love this new look, Need to drop my rear shocks now down about an inch or so, but lost one of the **** spanner wrenches that came with my Ohlins. I think I have to turn the sleeve things both upper and lower together therefore need both spanners. Will pray to St. Anthony.

New corbin seat! love it. love it , love it. For the price, I had better! Bike is looking more and more cafe now, have the ace bars but am chicken to put them on. Think I might trade them in for the sportbars.

Will have pics of the bike, Hedge, DEFINITELY, tomorrow! finally.

Oh yeah; forgot about my new black cam covers. uber cool! AND shorty front fender! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts