Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a leather seat for my Bonnie. Is there a spray you guys recommend that would protect it if I get caught in the rain?

·
Registered
935 Posts
There's various leather conditioners over here.I believe most of the car parts stores will have something.I use a conditioner specifically for leather made by Armour all [I think]

·
Registered
52 Posts
i use the leather honey combo, cleaner and conditioner, for my seat. great for new and old leather. in the description it says water, snow and rain repellent, haven't tested how true that is (try to avoid riding in the bad weather)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
www.leatherclear.com

Been using the Leather Black on my jacket for about 10 years. My jacket is 35 years old and still in great shape.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Harley sells a boatload of expensive leather seats and they are the king of keeping shinny bits shinny and supple bits supple. This is what I had used on the leather seat of my Road King years ago, not too expensive, works great, lasts forever:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/leather-protectant

·
Registered
513 Posts
If your seat is truly leather, meaning full grain cowhide, stay out of the auto parts stores and get something from a tack shop used for horse saddles.

If your seat is bonded or split leather (much more likely), it really isn't leather in the true sense. It is the underlying layer of skin after the top layer has been skimmed off for use in nicer leather products. It is embossed with a texture and then sealed with a polyvinyl coating. If your seat is uniform color and texture, it is probably split or bonded leather.

As far as care, it might as well be vinyl because it is essentially impenetrable. Go ahead and use any product at an auto parts store that takes care of vinyl. Despite the claims on the bottles, you are not nourishing the "leather" -- you are just keeping it clean and thus avoiding some micro-abrasion that can lead to surface deterioration. Given the vinyl surface, you can also used something with a UV blocker to slow down any fading.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I use this on my jacket. It's great. I imagine it would work equally well on the seat. It's neets foot oil, pine pitch, and bee's wax combined. The nice part about the wax is that it won't make your seat slippery and you won't slide around on it.

http://www.montanapitchblend.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts