Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I get to dig into a 95 Daytona 900 to replace the Spag gears. I've never done one of these before but |I have the manual and am no stranger to the wrench.
I read about some engines being split and others its a much simpler job. Can anyone give me an idea of what it'll take and any pitfalls I might encounter.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Targis34, I am also digging deep into mine to replace the sprag. Apparently on early engines there is a plate that can be removed and the sprag replaced. There does not seem to be a particular engine number that the change over occured. Mine does not have the plate so i am in the process of removing the engine and tearing it down. So far I have a bench covered in parts that i have taken off and no end in sight. Keep in contact and we can work through this together.
why couldn't this happen 3 months ago when it was cold ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sprag Clutch

Hi, If you can use a spanner, you can do the job. The previous post is correct, the earlier version of the engine does have a plate to gain access to the sprag clutch, mine didn't. I thought the most laborious task was the removal of the engine and its re-installation. For reference, You don't have to remove the clutch, the haines manual shows it removed, the triumph one doesn't. The Haines manual doesn't make reference to the un-tightening sequence that is clearly shown in the Triumph manual.
The only special tool I bought was a small torque wrench, and the only other thing I had to buy was the recommended Bearing Glue.
The engine comes apart easily and the instructions the manuals offer take you through all the steps.
If you need any more information drop me a note

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well we are at it. We are not removing the clutch, will see what happens there. The engine will drop out tomorrow. So far it has been a hack'n'slash, just remove anything that looks like it'll be in the way....a few more brews and we'll be there..

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
I finished mine this past weekend it really wasn't as bad asi thought it would be. the bike is also lighter now due to removing the dirt and crud built up over the years. also it was nice that i did not have any parts left over. In fact I was so satisfied with the result i had to have a cigarette and take a nap.:D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also, the bike starts alot easier, so the sprag must have been slipping before it started to clunk bang and clatter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a bit late on this but didnt want to start a new thread, I have a 93' D1200 and was wondering about this plate on the earlier models. Below the "#4" carb I have a flat surface on top of the case that has several hex bolts holding a plate that's a bit smaller than a playing card. Is this the access point for the sprag? If so then good because if it goes out it will make life easier.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I'm a bit late on this but didnt want to start a new thread, I have a 93' D1200 and was wondering about this plate on the earlier models. Below the "#4" carb I have a flat surface on top of the case that has several hex bolts holding a plate that's a bit smaller than a playing card. Is this the access point for the sprag? If so then good because if it goes out it will make life easier.
Yes, you won't have to split cases to do your sprag. Curious how you ended up with a '93 in the US since I thought '95 was the first US year and no access plates by that time. Canada??

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sweet now when it does go I won't need to start smoking again. I'm pretty sure it came through Canada but when I talked to a Canadian parts and a Triumph North America guy they said that the the D1200 didn't arrive this side of the pond until 95' so it was probably from Europe, Canada, now to this backass state South Carolina. I'm in limbo right now because one of the letters is off on the title I just transfered from so it reads as an 1982 bike instead of 93'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts