Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
New to the forum and a probable new owner of a 1996 Trident 900.

I read here there has been problems with the sprag clutch in the starter on some of these models. Is there a year or VIN before or after which this problem had been rectified by the factory?
Any dealer help on "warranty" if the original warranty has run out?

Also, I would appreciate hearing from anyone with a set of stock mufflers to fit this bike.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
motorhead30510, Welcome to the forum.

The Triumph sprag clutchs aren't any more vulnerable to failure than any of the other manufacturers, but they're a PIA to repair 'till the '02 955 redesign. Keep the battery charged is the best advice I can give.

Brad

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
IIRC, there was a redesign around '94. (It was definitely before '96.) They made the sprag clutch more reliable & eliminated the cover on the motor that gave easy access for replacement.

Unfortunately, the newer sprags still fail. They're much harder to replace too, due to the lack of the access hatch.

All that said, though, keeping the battery charged should prevent it ever being an issue.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
The Mother Ship repaced my sprag clutch last summer (2 months out of warrany) The new unit was beefier. Easily acessable but still a $400 part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts