Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it was going to fail, would it not have done so after 11 years?
I made the same enquiry direct to the tech dept at Hinckley, who said the whole sprag clutch issue was a result of bad press reporting and a very small number of failures.
Maybe that is what they WOULD say, maybe not.
Just ride the damn thing!

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Depends on where the bike lives, they fail more often in colder climes with harder starting conditions, and often on folks with weak or neglected batteries. The '97 version was stronger than the pre-96, and they continued to make improvements. This is a good question though!!! It might be hard to find the answer, since the part numbers were replacements. I doubt your going to find a VIN on the fiche. Maybe an old tech service bulletin is lying around?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was going to fail, would it not have done so after 11 years?
I made the same enquiry direct to the tech dept at Hinckley, who said the whole sprag clutch issue was a result of bad press reporting and a very small number of failures.
Maybe that is what they WOULD say, maybe not.
Just ride the damn thing!
Not in this case. This motorcycle had only 1802 actual miles on it when I bought it. So I doubt there was enough wear and tear, or whatever, on the sprag clutch to cause it to fail. Thing is, from what I have seen while disassembling and reassembling the motorcycle is that someone did some real shoddy work on it, most likely a dealer shop, and ended up causing it to run so badly that the owner got fed up with it and put it in storage. And why the carbs were screwed around with when it was nearly a new motorcycle is beyond me. The incident probably also ruined his attitude about Triumph in general.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hallo,

I am from the Netherlands Forum i read a lot of sparg clutch problems here,but exclusively here the most time.
Netherlands and Germany ( adjacent state, with a lot of Thunderbird-Sport-Adventurer-Legend behind the USA ) no problems with sprag clutch.

Well it is known that the problem is in the CDI ( ignitor-box) unit the first PLV ( discharge plug) it give directly a sparks.
The replace CDI ( with fixed plug) pull out first the machine engine then a sparks,and defecate so the sprag clutch.

Probleems here are exclusively with earliest Trident.

Sorry for my language hope you can understand.

Cheers jan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hallo Cafetbird,

@I think all the bikes that came to the States had Gill CDI boxes, not PVL. The early bikes had PVL coils, however.

Yes, and the PLV boxes are the sprag clutch problem of the early bikes,special the Trident-Trophy-Daytona.with PLV CDI from 1992 till 1995. and some early Thunderbirds, often with old in stock PLV CDI.
The chance the he broken, is small with a Gill, however its always posible just like kawasaki, honda,suzuki.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greetings All,

Did the early CDI controllers have too much spark advance on start up, causing the first power stroke to run the engine backwards and overloading the sprag clutch? I’m just curious, I have 35,000 miles on my ’09 Adventurer with no issues.

Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings All,

Did the early CDI controllers have too much spark advance on start up, causing the first power stroke to run the engine backwards and overloading the sprag clutch? I’m just curious, I have 35,000 miles on my ’09 Adventurer with no issues.

Cheers,
Ken
To fast spark advance, and start up, and overloading the clutch,split of a second.
Same as you start up with the gear in,that symtoon.
Butt you understand it well.

Cheers jan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts