Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
What, the sprag itself, or contributing factors? The body of the sprag looked to be a very robust bit of gear, signs of use but no visible wear except for the shagged/loose spring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got the sprag out. The spring is so badly worn that the innards of the sprag fell out. the spring had zero tension left

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I just went to the local parts store and the helpful chap at the counter opened a dozen or so crankcase/axle seals till we found one with the same diameter spring. And my spring was the same.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you remember the part number? I'm going to use the one mentioned in this thread but if you've found a better alternative I'll use it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok so I put my sprag back together and it turns one way and not the other like it should. But, to me, the action of turning seems rough. Is this okay? Is it because there's no oil on it?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I would assume so, if you can't see any burrs or rough spots on the surfaces. As I said, with mine apart from the spring the rest of the unit looked unused

·
Registered
57 Posts
Okay thank you! Currently getting it back together. It's mentioning a spacer on the shaft

Number 14.

But I don't recall that when I took it apart. I just remember there being a splined spacer.
My alt. shaft has one bolt on each end also.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Good news!! My build was 6 months ago now; I wouldn't remember a spacer from last week :)

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
It's not likely to be warped, so there must be an obstruction. Locating dowel ok? Oil pipes seated properly?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
My oil pipes came out with dismantling, and needed to be located properly again before it went back together. I'm scraping the old memory on this, but that was the only reassembly issue I came across that I recall

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
That first pic is what I call the upper case. Now that you're winning, what was in the way? Selector forks?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread....can anyone comment on how their sprag clutch spring replacement is holding up? Now that winter is here, I was considering trying this to fix my soon-to-go-out sprag clutch. Dreaded clanking sound every once in a while....

41 - 60 of 107 Posts