Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
639 Posts
I didn't believe it when I first saw it. Still can't believe British-Customs would make one like this.
OK, I'll bite. The only thing I saw in this boring video that was not totally kosher was the teflon tape wrapping was done 'ass-backwards'. Probably won't leak, but still should have been wrapped the opposite direction.

Do I win a big prize?

Cheers,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Blight,

You win first prize.

I was the manager of a factory making compressed gas cylinders.
We fitted valves to approx. 3000 cylinders a week and all the guys were told that the tape has to go on the valves the right. We actually had cases of valves leaking because it was put on the wrong way.
I would hate to replace an engine because of no oil. Which could happen, though very rare.

1st. Prize Committee still out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mistake(s)

Well, from a plumbing point of view, yeah - wrapping the tape that way doesn't work out so well. What I noticed right after that is that they thread a nut over the top of the tape before attaching the oil line. Pretty much cuts all the tape off when you do that, so it's not gonna do much good.
I'd wanna back up the tightening of the oil line with a wrench on that nut too. Holding the gauge to crank the oil line tight is just asking for trouble.
Otherwise, dang, that's a good idea! Super simple and looks clean when it's done.

Ben

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a great idea for an oil gauge, but I would be doing the plumbing side of it a little bit different.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The grammar nazi in me also noticed a typo when showing the supplied parts. Banjo bolt is labeled as banjo bold. It's not important in an engine mechanics sense, but I couldn't help it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
that gauge as installed reads bouncy pneumatic pressure not steady hydraulic since they neither bled the line, nor will it purge itself to overcome the air pocket...although it will certainly drain about the same time the oil cooler does to repeat and insure it always reads pneumatic pressure.

when trapped air in the feed line heats up and expands, it may back up a bit of froth in the oil delivery...probably not a deal breaker, if that line feeds the upper end only the mains wouldn't be effected, but the cam bearings would.

I believe I'd leave the idiot light, it purges just like the cooler, runs a full flow without bubbles, and reads accurate liquid pressure.

that gauge should be T-ed inline...not off on an isolated branch.
I'm surprised no one caught that.

I enjoyed the idiot light made out as a villian "prudent people" shouldn't trust as if this fudgy gauge were THE answer to something profound.

the backwards wound tape may not be an issue, because the guy wears his shirt proudly and acts the part...but then they don't look like mechanic hands either...way too pretty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the price of Triumph spares in Oz. it would probably be cheaper to install than a new pressure switch.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts