Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2010 mag wheel Bonny yesterday and the first order of business is to replace the tired tires... *ahem* The rear is a gigantic 150/70 and the front is original. :surprise: I've been a Pirelli fan as I used the Angel GT on my FZ6 and Supersports on my old 2008 Street Triple. The Pirelli Sport Demon tires seem to be a popular choice around here in the stock size, though I'm considering a set of Rosso IIs with the stock 110/70 up front and a 140/70 rear. Mileage isn't much of a concern as I'll probably not put on enough miles before they're too old. I'm not dragging knee or scraping hard parts at every corner, but I wouldn't mind a little extra insurance if I lean over a bit. Taking this thing on the track would be hilarious, however. :)

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,830 Posts
I found conti road attack radials an improvement on sport demons on my Thruxton . Don't know if they are available in US though . There has to be a reason every **** hot bike out there at the moment is not running cross ply .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Sport Demons,120/70 up front, stock in back. They have been good, only got about 5,000 miles out of rear. I would like to try something different...

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I found the wider the tyre the slower the turn in for cornering, while giving a nicer inline ride. I went with Trail Attacks ( same tread different compound) and they were great. I'm on Road Riders now, don't listen to the hype they to are great.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just picked up a 2010 mag wheel Bonny yesterday and the first order of business is to replace the tired tires... *ahem* The rear is a gigantic 150/70 and the front is original. :surprise: I've been a Pirelli fan as I used the Angel GT on my FZ6 and Supersports on my old 2008 Street Triple. The Pirelli Sport Demon tires seem to be a popular choice around here in the stock size, though I'm considering a set of Rosso IIs with the stock 110/70 up front and a 140/70 rear...
I agree with Vitesse, 150/70R17 rear slows down the steering but gives great straight line stability. I've tried that spec and have reverted to stock sizes, 110/70R17 front Metzeler Z8 Interact, 130/80R17 rear Metzeler Tourance. Now I have some miles behind me with this combo I love the Z8 on the front, and would go for Tourance Next on the rear next time as the Tourance can get unsettled over uneven surfaces and the Tourance Next is more road orientated.

if I were going for 140 section rear I'd go for 140/80R17 as that would give a little more rear height and sharpen up the steering.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have Sport Demons 120/70 and 140/80. Slightly slower turn in but I like the taller stance. Gained 7mm and 8mm (mathematically). Didn't actually measure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I don't have much to compare turn in. I don't think the existing setup is a good baseline as the front is squared off a bit and the rear is wider than most people would go anyway. It felt a bit sluggish on my test ride. I do like a stable bike, however. I lowered the rear of a touch and dropped the front forks flush with the triple clamps on my STR for more trail and stability.

·
Registered
59 Posts
..... I went with Trail Attacks ( same tread different compound) and they were great. I'm on Road Riders now, don't listen to the hype they to are great.
I have Michelin Anakee 3's on the back and absolutely love them - wear very well too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see myself going off road unless I target fixate, so I'm going for maximum pavement dry grip. :)

I've all but pulled the trigger on a set of Rosso IIs. Stock up front, 140/70 in the rear. They don't offer a 140/80, but they do offer a 120/70 or a 120/60. Any reason not to go with the Diablos given my goals?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't see myself going off road unless I target fixate, so I'm going for maximum pavement dry grip. :)......
You'd have to be the village idiot to take the Anakee 3's (Tourance, Trail Attack) off-road, they're barely adequate on graded gravel roads. They really work well on twisty pavement.

Dual-sport is currently translated to old man upright riding position, not off road. :wink2:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair enough, though it sounds like there's enough of a compromise that they're still giving up something to a tire that's dedicated to pavement.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doing some more research on this one, a larger rear with the same profile ratio will jack up the rear. To even out that rise, I'd use a 120 front. Some people say the fender mounting bolts will contact the lip of the tire depending on its true width. Others replace the bolts with button head screws. I'm inclined to do the latter - would just need to source some. Anyone have a good source for these? I could use some for other projects as well.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
bias 120-70 + 150-70 will fit properly, radials of the same size do NOT!! the pirelli rosso II's are great handling tyres i have on my 2012 mag wheeler, stock front 140-70 out back the rear is about 2/10's smaller, dropping the forks a bit will make more difference to quicken steering

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, that's a surprise. I had all but pulled the trigger on the Rosso IIs in 120/70. I already ordered some button head bolts from Amazon: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/80-20-11-8312-Metric-Button/dp/B00JV6RESU[/ame]

It looks like there's about 13mm between the stock front tire and the bolts that hold the fender to the forks. Button heads will probably get me another 2mm or so. In theory having a 15mm gap on each side should allow for a tire that is 5mm wider (on each side). What prevented the 120 Rosso from fitting?

I know the effects of lowering the front, but I would actually want to raise the front to bring the geometry back in line if I went with a taller rear and stock front.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
i removed the fender bolts one at a time, cut them shorter + install with medium loctite!! a quick look on avonmoto shows a mininum of 3.5" for their radial 120-70-17 where as their bias offering lists 3" being within proper fitment, your bike your choice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts