Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interesting never ending threads on spokes and failure issues. As a proud owner of a Bonnie, it is more than passing interest. I spoke with the dealer and the rep and neither have had issues stateside. If there was a problem with spokes from the factory, wouldn't there be a recall? In todays lawsuit happy world, I would think Triumph would addresss the issue ahead of the curve, which seems to be the way they operate. Must be one of those things where you have to take into account where you ride and how you ride and not blame a part of the motorcycle that needs owner maintenance same as a chain drive. File a claim aor hang up.

[ This message was edited by: Brooksie on 2006-11-18 08:49 ]

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
2001, 17,000+ Miles. 0 Spoke issues
Never had to be tightened. They are all nice and tight
and nice and shinny.
Bill

·
Registered
547 Posts
yeah, spokes are meant to break, just like chains and sprockets wear out and batteries die etc. Better one little spot out of 40 or 36 fails than a whole cast cracks and the wheel disintegrates (like used to happen to those Italian wheels on Dukes in the 70s and early 80s). Check that they all 'sing' with a screwdriver every so often, esp. after any rough riding or hitting a bad pothole. It ain't Triumph's fault, or a warranty matter!!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the great things about owning a bike with spokes is they look so great. They do take more work than spraying them with S100 and hosing them off. Get a spoke tool and check them at least once a month.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a spoke break after about 18 months and 10,000 miles. Replaced under warranty, no problem. However, I'd think twice before having spoked wheels again. Also the Bonnie's wheels take a lot of cleaning especially in the winter or they soon rust. Its not really a bike for day-in day-out transport is it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts